We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Bare Root Roses - delivered today do you think they will survive?
Hi. I got a delivery today of 7 roses and i think they might actually be dead already? can anyone help with advice (they are currently soaking in buckets of rainwater as they were dry as a bone, I took them out for a few seconds to take the photo).
Any advice on the best thing to do to give them the best chance of life. As its warm im thinking of leaving them overnight in the buckets. Thank you for your time!
Comments
-
They look exactly right for bare root roses to me, although I admit it’s some time since I bought any - no more room, I have 39 different varieties!
Where did you order them from? I assume there are instructions on how to plant them for the best chance of success? If not, look on their website.I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
ARE YOU STRUGGLING DURING THE HOLIDAYS? You may find some ideas on how to cope here:
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6576551/some-websites-and-helplines-if-youre-struggling-this-christmas0 -
It seems a little late in the season for transporting roses in bare root form but all you can do is plant them into pots, try not to stress them with heat or dryness, and see what happens.
1 -
thank you. there were no instructions and they came from garden express. i have a nice shady part of the garden so i will put them there when i pot them up tomorrow. thanks for the advice x
0 -
You can only try.
Personally I think they look dreadful and it's going to be an uphill struggle to get them to survive.
The branches have been painted with wax from top to bottom so leaf buds can't break through. It might be wise to leave that for a while as it's mid summer but see if there's something on the net about how to get it off gently till they grow some roots.
The roots most have are stabilising ones, not feeding ones to grow and feed.
Honestly I've seen better in Poundland. I have got some like this to grow but it took about 5yrs and never sturdy.
Good luck 🤞
I can rise and shine - just not at the same time!
viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well
1 -
According to the RHS, bare rooted are shipped out between November and March. Late June is way too late to my mind. I'd be inclined to send them back and get a full refund (including return postage).
Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
Erik Aronesty, 2014
Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.0 -
Can hope they have been in cold storage all this time and it's worth potting them up to see what happens? When did you order them? If you ordered bare root and got them in the expected delivery time it's hard to see how you can justify asking for a refund until you've at least given them a chance. Keep photos of progress or lack of, obvs.
0 -
Best of luck with that, they were from Gardening Express. There's a long thread on here ref GE experiences.
I'd pot up and not expect too much success.
Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club1 -
Pot them up,being careful not to overpot, as the root systems aren't extensive. Then pop them into a shady place. After all, that's where they've probably come from! Water as required and monitor for signs of life.
Optional: Gospel of John (John 11:1-44)
Never believe anything until it's officially denied.
2 -
David Austin roses will ship bare rooted till April. June seems far too late. Worth a complaint and let us know what they say.
0 -
Optional: Gospel of John (John 11:1-44)
Monty Python: Norwegian Blue
Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
Erik Aronesty, 2014
Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards




