We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lebara can't send me a new SIM - Its been over a week

djmatty
djmatty Posts: 11
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite

Hi all,

I’m looking for advice about a Lebara PAC / number porting problem.

I originally took out my Lebara SIM deal after finding it through MoneySavingExpert / the MSE Cheap Mobile Finder, so I thought this would be a good place to ask and also warn others.

I lost my Lebara SIM and cannot receive SMS. I asked Lebara for a replacement SIM and was told it was on the way, but it has still not arrived after more than a week.

They also told me that they would send me an email which they did not.

I want to switch provider and keep my number, so I asked Lebara for a PAC. They told me I need to wait for the replacement SIM. I tried the Lebara online port-out/PAC process, but it sends an OTP to the Lebara SIM, which I do not have. So the online option is useless in my situation.

I then called Lebara and asked for the PAC by phone. They said they cannot give the PAC over the phone. When I challenged this and referred to Ofcom’s rules,they hung up on me.

My understanding is that Ofcom says a PAC can be requested by text, online account, or by phoning the provider. If requested by phone, the PAC should be provided immediately over the phone, or if that is not possible, by SMS within two hours.

But in my case, I cannot receive SMS because the SIM is lost, the online PAC process requires an OTP sent to that lost SIM, and the replacement SIM has not arrived.

My questions are:

  1. Can Lebara refuse to provide a PAC over the phone and insist on SMS/OTP only, when I have reported the SIM lost?
  2. Does the fact their online PAC process requires an OTP to the lost SIM mean they are effectively blocking me from porting my number?
  3. Should I now raise this as a formal complaint and ask for a deadlock letter?
  4. Is there anything specific I should quote from Ofcom’s rules?
  5. Since I found the deal through MSE originally, is this something MSE should be aware of as a warning for people taking Lebara deals?

I have not cancelled the Lebara account because I know the number needs to stay active for porting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

«1

Comments

  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,904
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 11 June at 2:41PM
    1. Can Lebara refuse to provide a PAC over the phone and insist on SMS/OTP only, when I have reported the SIM lost?

    Common sense would say YES or any old Tom, Richard or Harriet could phone them and ask for a PAC on any number. What would you have them do, just dole out PACs to anyone who says I've lost my SIM give me a PAC?

    BY PAC over phone, I would take this to mean by calling from the same mobile number requiring the PAC

    Just be patient, it's only a week.

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,267
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I guess as the replacement SIM has not arrived and has not been activated you will just have to wait until it is live on the network before you can do anything.

    Your "understanding" may be correct for an active SIM, but the replacement isn't in that state yet.

    Advice, chase up the delivery but stop hassling them until it is in your possession and back on the network.

  • djmatty
    djmatty Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

    I don't believe that they are even sending me a SIM card.

    when I called them up and asked them is my replacement SIM card on the way, they said no such thing was requested from me.

    This has happened twice.

    They are probably lying to me when they say your SIM card is on they way.

  • djmatty
    djmatty Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

    OFCOM told me that I am entitled to my PAC code over the phone.

    Lebara could refuse it if they cannot ID me.

    However they asked me multiple security questions, so I am sure they did ID me.

  • djmatty
    djmatty Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

    I would also like to add that customer service tell me to do it online and online it tells me to contact customer service.

    Ridiculous.

    02 would never treat a customer this way.

    image.png
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,904
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Were you registered online with Lebara? Did you request a replacement SIM using the online service, or did you phone & ask?

    I'd try again using the online service

    https://www.lebara.co.uk/en/help/manage-your-account/lost-my-lebara-sim-card.html

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • djmatty
    djmatty Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
  • djmatty
    djmatty Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

    I have spoken to them over the phone as well as online chat more than once. They start off by saying there is no SIM replacement requested so that's why it has not arrived. they then lie and say that THIS TIME it is on the way.

    Another Lie.

    It will never even be shipped.

    It seems to me that they would rather assure the customer with a lie than help them.

    Absolute disgrace I am very upset.

    image.png
  • djmatty
    djmatty Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

    So basically, I will never get a new SIM.

    I have lost my number for good.

    image.png
  • djmatty
    djmatty Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

    It has been over a month though.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.