We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Static caravan purchase - keeping costs down
Comments
-
I feel like you are invested as much as we are @Sea_Shell !!!
Laundry - I had been wondering this. I bloody love a launderette but yes, it's expensive. I'm hoping there might be owner discount but that seems like a long shot. We have a dishwasher in the van, but no washing machine.
I did wonder if we'd buy an Aircon unit, but then wondered if we might actively avoid the caravan when it is as hot as it has been. That said, the last week wasn't as hot over there as it was over here, so it may also be an escape from city heat!!
We will never leave the dogs in the caravan on their own.
1 -
So - the purchase is going through next month.
I have my money plan for the next 5 years set out, which money moves where and when, for the annual lumps of cash.
I have a float of £10k for sprucing up and maintaining.
I am still contemplating the letting-friends-use-it issue. I want the second bedroom to be an office so I can work from the caravan (we've got Good WiFi Options on the To Do/budget!). BUT - this means the offer to friends becomes Adults Only, Super Dog Friendly. Suits me fine, but Husband has even gone as far to say "well let's get a bunk bed then, so there is room for kids as well as a desk." There isn't room for a bed and a desk, let alone a bunk bed and a desk.
And no, this isn't his way of suggesting we have kids. We are nearly 50!!!
But - am I silly to removed the twin beds in the spare room?
0 -
Do you have room to store* the spare beds at home, rather than get rid of them?
If so, I'd trial removing them and see how it works for you.
You can always put them back.
I agree on one thing, those twin rooms are usually tiny! 😉
*Assuming you can transport them.
How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)0 -
I might see if we can dismantle the beds and store them along the wall in the small room. Mattresses are still going to be a nightmare but maybe it could all be propped up and hidden with a decorative blanket 😄
Thanks so much for all the support on here. The purchase goes through in a couple of weeks so it's all starting to feel very real!!
0 -
You could go all "Princess and the Pea" and stack them, side by side , on your double, under the main mattress.
You might need a footstool to get into bed mind 🤣😉
How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)1 -
Well it did occur to me that we could just put them under the bed. Sadly it isn't an ottoman bed in the main room, but that may be a blessing when it comes to hiding dismantled unwanted single beds 😄
0 -
Are you all moved in now @WindfallWendy
Have you had your first overnights?
How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)1 -
Hi!!!
Yes, so all moved in and in case anyone else was thinking about this kind of adventure, here are my views, 1 month in....
It doesn't feel like a holiday - yet
...because all I can think about it how to make the place feels more like ours. As such everything I do there at the moment feels less than brilliant. E.g. should I get my own crockery, cutlery, do we need to wash the sofa covers, should we get some new shelves, to we need a smaller coffee table.... Etc. etc. all those things which just don't cross your mind on holiday, are ALL I can think about now 😂
Measuring and updating...
I measured for curtains and blinds immediately but it still takes time to source the things you want and add your own stuff, so that's been a bit frustrating. Ideally I would have waved a magic wand, but I have had to be patient.
Dealing with the management....
....they are slow to respond a lot of the time, but surprisingly brilliant in other aspects of their support. E.g. when we realised our gas was turned off at 6.30am, someone had fixed it for us by 7.30am. However, the refund I was due for the insurance they charged me for by default, still hasn't materialised.
Keeping tabs on spend....
I am trying! But it's very easy to fritter on little things (a key ring here, a finial there, a extra set of bedding, a few more towels....). In part I'm accepting that this is our lifestyle now so some of the spend will just become our normal spend and attempting segregation of 'normal' spend from 'caravan' spend, isn't straightforward.
I am looking forward to October when a few more things will have settled down and it will feel a bit easier. The heat has also made it less enjoyable, so once we can have the doors closed and the dogs settled down... It will be fabulous 😂🤣
1 -
Unless the crockery is chipped, crazed or mismatched (or horrible colour/pattern), I would leave it until at least next season. Likewise the cutlery unless tarnished, misshapen etc
If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales1 -
Glad to hear that you're settling in, but these things do take time.
Even two seasons in, you'll probably still think of something you NEED for the van, after 'making do' with stuff you had spare at home. Like… a new TV 😁 (blushes!!)
Even things like a small toolkit or extra charge leads (laptop/phone), so save having to cart stuff to and fro'
Before you know it, you've spend another £500 😉
How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

