We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Static caravan purchase - keeping costs down

135

Comments

  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 10,457
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Me again...

    Just posting things as I think of them.

    Mattress (es)

    Is it also 12 years old, and having been in a rental?

    If so, it's probably end of life.

    Personally, I'd want to change it, even if it seemed to be in good condition.

    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)
  • WindfallWendy
    WindfallWendy Posts: 268
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Yes - I thought the same about the mattress. I figured if they usually last ~ 8 years, then it's worth buying an awesome new one. Uncomfy beds are one of the problems we have with holidays and have been known to cart a mattress topper around with us which is ridiculous.

    I have a friend who crochets....

    Re. being near the coast/corrosion, we're getting someone to check under the van, for that reason, but it's actually absolute back row so as far from the sea as they can be (approx 0.25mile) so I think the amount of salty air we will get isn't as bad as some/many of the other caravans at the site.

    Vacuums.... I've always taken note when we've been on holiday of a 'good' vacuum and the Vax blue animal ones are pretty good, though seems to break quite easily. We have a Shark pet, which is ok, but the handheld option is a bit less effective than the Vax. I'm always impressed by a Henry but I think they need bags, don't they?

  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 10,457
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You seem to have all the angles covered.

    Enjoy.

    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,012
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I hate Henrys, but then I always like an upright for floors. No stairs, presumably?

    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • WindfallWendy
    WindfallWendy Posts: 268
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    No stairs.

  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 48,012
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    So personally I'd want an upright. Maybe attachments, or a handheld if you prefer cleaning by vacuum. But an upright will IMO be easier to store than a Henry, with its fat base and tube that will fall over however you arrange it. And easier to use.

    But as I said, I hate Henrys.

    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Yarmy
    Yarmy Posts: 47
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Hi, I bought a Henry for my static caravan, as it was on offer at the time, but am now wishing that I'd got an upright vacuum instead to save on space.

  • WindfallWendy
    WindfallWendy Posts: 268
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Will definitely go for an upright /versatile hand held thing.

  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 10,457
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 June at 5:01PM

    Laundry. (can't remember if I've mentioned it)

    Not just clothes, but sheets and towels.

    What's your plan?

    Use on site facilities - ££. Ones we've seen cost £8 to wash and dry a (big) load.

    Only stay for 7-8 nights at a time, do the washing at home?

    Or will your van have a WM and space outside for a rotary airer?

    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 10,457
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 June at 10:17AM

    @WindfallWendy

    Another thing...

    Air con.

    Are you considering having it installed? Especially if you have to leave your dog there, even for a few minutes.

    Will your plot have shady spots throughout the day, especially over lunchtime.

    As vans get unbearably hot indoors in weather like we're currently getting.

    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 3.24% of current retirement "pot" (as at end December 2025)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.