We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Inaccurate data (Autodata) used to service car
Comments
-
Brake fluid is checked using a moisture meter, its a really easy check.
1 -
So what size do you have?
0 -
Given the pressures are consistent for a range of tyre sizes, I think we can conclude that unless the OP's car is running something markedly different (and, presumably, non-standard) it's likely to apply.
Assuming that image really IS off a Compass, which is a restyled Fiat 500X built in the Stellantis plant in Melfi, southern Italy, half way between Naples and Bari.0 -
I agree the Compass might share a platform with the Fiat 500X but I'm not sure I would call the Compass a restyled 500X 😀 (though you might know a lot more than me).
You are correct my tires are not markedly different 235/60 R17 102H so your assumption is correct.
From the manual
Plug-in Hybrid version
Tyres
Unladen/medium load
Full load
Front
Rear
Front
Rear
215/60 R17 96H (*)
2.4
2.4
2.6
2.6
235/60 R17 102H (***)
2.4
2.4
2.6
2.6
235/55 R18 100H (***)
2.4
2.4
2.6
2.6
235/45 R19 XL 99H (***)
2.4
2.4
2.6
2.6
215/65 R17 99S (**)
2.4
2.4
2.6
2.6
(*) Non original tyre: it must only be fitted if 7 mm snow chains are to be used.
(**) Spare wheel (optional)
(***) The indicated pressure is aimed at comfort. To privilege fuel efficiency, the tyre pressure can be increased to a maximum of 3.0 bar for all tyres.
0 -
The simplest solution would be to ask the garage NOT to check/inflate the tyres, and knock £4 off the bill. Then you could do it at home yourself.
0 -
Ha ha, that made me chuckle.
Going back to my original question about the accuracy of the Autodata and getting them to do the service as per the manufacturers recommendation the thought of asking them not to do something would probably through them into a flat-spin 😀
I have to be honest I have absolutely no confidence with car servicing at the main dealers - time to find an independent for next year. I had previously used a local Land Rover independent for over 10-years and always felt they had my interest at heart rather than their pockets.
0 -
Are they a main dealer? If so, I'm surprised if they use Autodata. They'd have access to the manufacturer's own systems, which are nothing to do with Autodata. They might have explained it to you in a non-technical sense and used "Autodata" as a generic term for a technical resource, much like Hoover is a generic term for a vacuum cleaner
The other possibility is they looked it up, for the wrong car, or a vaguely similar car. Or just use those values and never looked up the actual manufacturer details at all.
0 -
Yes, as far as I am aware they are a main dealer. They are to be found as a retailer on the Jeep website and they have Jeep written all over the showroom which is full of new Jeeps.
It is them that tell me they use Autodata - I can only go by what they tell me.
The tyre pressure issue went back and forth for weeks just after I purchased the car, you'd imagine they were looking at the right car. Yesterday, I asked them to tell me the pressures they would set my car to and they looked it up and said 35F & 32 R so despite the issue from 2023 nothing has changed.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
