We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Inaccurate data (Autodata) used to service car

iwaddo77
iwaddo77 Posts: 78 Forumite
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

Hi

I wanted to ask whether anyone else had experience where a dealer is using data and information from Autodata to service vehicles where the data is actually not in line with dealers recommendations. I have two examples.

Autodata has the incorrect tyre pressures for my car. I raised this 2-years ago, it is still wrong. Every time my car goes into the dealer it comes out with the incorrect pressures.

Autodata tells the dealer to replace the brake fluid in my car every 4-years, the manufacturer says it should be every 2-years.

«13456

Comments

  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,695 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    My dealer wants to change my brake fluid every couple of years but it isn't part of the service schedule so I tell them not to. Every 4 years is fine, even better they could test it and change it when needed.

    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • iwaddo77
    iwaddo77 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    All the advice I can find says 24,000 or 2-years, not sure why I would ignore it.

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 June at 12:06PM

    How far out are the tyre pressures in question? Could it simply be a difference in calibration between their gauges and yours?
    Never mind what the dealer says, what does the data sticker on YOUR CAR say for YOUR TYRE SIZE and use?
    You do, of course, regularly check your tyre pressures and ensure they're correct anyway, right?

    As for brake fluid… The general guideline is that Glycol-based DOT brake fluid should indeed be replaced every two years, and the type of car is irrelevant to that. It's hygroscopic, and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. If you wish to reduce servicing cost, you could test the fluid and replace as needed, but if you're looking to reduce servicing cost, then "not going to the franchise dealer" is the best starting point. Replacing brake fluid regularly is the cheapest way to avoid having to replace far more expensive braking components when they rust internally from the neglected, "wet" fluid - or worse if the lower boiling point leads to brake failure at a significant moment…

    With all that in mind, what do you think you want to get from the dealer?

    If you're not happy with one particular garage, isn't it just easier to use a different one?

  • iwaddo77
    iwaddo77 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thank you for your support on the brake fluid.

    There is no sticker in the car - this is part of the problem. I do not know why, I've asked and can't find an answer. I been given several places to look and cannot locate a sticker. The same car in the dealer showroom also did not appear to have a sticker.

    I have been using the same garage because I purchased a service plan, also the car was in warranty so needed to go to a proper dealer.

    Autodata says 35F 32R, the manual says 35F 35R. I checked with the manufacturer they said the manual is correct.

    Each time it goes in it comes out at 35F 32R.

    Now I am out of warranty, I may look to have my service elsewhere. I did this with a previous car after the warranty had expired.

    The only thing I'm sure sure about is getting a PHEV serviced somewhere that understands the EV bit (the batteries have an 8-year warranty) as it seems it is a little more involved than servicing used to be.

    Thank you for your help.

  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    What car is this with no tyre fitment and pressure sticker?

    It's a legal requirement in most European countries, so very strange not to find it.

  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 2,626 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I would imagine it's actually 2.4bar and 2.2bar, rather than the outdated and parochial psi which will only be quoted as a conversion for convenience.

    I'm ASTONISHED if there really isn't a pressure sticker anywhere on the car. As @Iceweasel says, it's been a type approval requirement for decades. The current version of the requirement is UNECE 661/2009

    You do not legally need to get a car serviced within the dealer chain, even within warranty. You simply need to demonstrate it's been serviced to the manufacturer requirements. Service plans are usually poor value.

    But, honestly… 0.2bar? Nah, that's going to make no practical difference. Does TPMS have anything to say about it?

    I wonder if one tyre size is 2.4 rear and a different size 2.2 (or different load conditions).

  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 3 June at 1:58PM

    I can't remember a modern car that didn't quote tyre pressures based on speed or load (I've even seen lower pressures marked as "comfort" pressures). So you usually get a range of pressures for that particular tyre size on that particular make and model.

    0.2 bar is less than 3 psi, it's really insignificant. Imagine a 1.5 litre bottle of pop stood on it's cap, it'll be around that. Even the fussy TPMS on Suzuki cars won't notice that difference.

    It's also not like the pressures don't alter as you drive, it's just a base line to check against.

    How often do you check them yourself and when? I could probably get two different pressures with around 0.2 bar difference from one of my cars tyres in the next half an hour, before and after I drive home.

    If you are that bothered about 0.2 bar, check them once a week after you have filled them with nitrogen first as it's more stable under temperature and it's molecules are far larger, so they tend to seep less through the rubber.

    As for brake fluid. Most manufacturers state two years though I've seen some Fords and Toyota's actually state three. I personally won't push it past four years, mainly because it's cheap enough to do considering what it does.

    Regarding your complaint about Autodata, there is an obvious answer. Take it somewhere that don't use Autodata and use a correct database for your car, like the dealers.

    My local engineers has drills and pliers, plus metals like silver, tin and copper. But he ain't no dentist.

  • paul_c123
    paul_c123 Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    There is an assumption the manufacturer is right and others are wrong. This is incorrect. There is no exact requirement of a single pressure reading for a tyre, a range would be okay. So long as its more/less the same each side. And even then, the average driver is unlikely to even notice 5psi or even 20psi difference in actual car handling (although that far out, would cause tyre wear long term).

    So I think this is a non-issue.

    Brake fluid - its absolutely fine to replace on condition.

  • iwaddo77
    iwaddo77 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    It is a Jeep Compass. If there a sticker it is nowhere useful.

    The manual says 2.4 front and back for normal driving and 2.6 front and back with a full load.

    The TPMS is in PSI, so 35 (maybe I can change it) The local air pump always seems to be in PSI, though if I recall I can switch it to Bar. I check the tyres regularly, probably monthly, and always before a longer journey.


    It maybe a non-issue but the manual says 2.4 and we assume if there were a sticker it would say 2.4 so not sure why I’d run them at anything else.

    Who checks the condition of the brake fluid and how is this done?

  • Arunmor
    Arunmor Posts: 918 Forumite
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Tyre pressure sticker location.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57xSAlDVoBQ

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.