We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Account in Credit

SuperKenny
SuperKenny Posts: 6 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post

Hi, I wounder if anyone could apply some common sense here.

My water supplier (United Utilities) advise me that I am 240 pounds in Credit. I phoned them requesting the credit to be paid back. After 20 minutes discussing on the phone with United Utilities I gave up. The subject is totally confusing, somehow the "credit" does not seem to be a credit that I can access???

Could anyone provide a clear English explanation. Is a water company credit something that the consumer can request.

(On a side point I am 240 in credit but my bills are increasing from 38 to 42. When I ask why the credit cannot be used again the response is just confusing).

«1

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,828 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I imagine the answer will be on your most recent water bill. It's likely that UU have taken your credit into account when calculating your new monthly payment.

    Have you read it carefully? Does it explain this?

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 June at 2:06PM

    Suspect they calculate you will use £724 worth of water services in the next 12 months, based on prices over the next 12 months.

    With your credit they only need £504 off you, so thats 12 x £42

    My bills from a different water company explain this.

  • SuperKenny
    SuperKenny Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

    My question is can I access the credit - get it paid back into my bank.

    Regarding new payment, as stated above ….On a side point I am 240 in credit but my bills are increasing from 38 to 42. When I ask why the credit cannot be used again the response is just confusing.

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 June at 2:11PM

    Does your annual summary not state how much they expect you to use in the next year? See my explanation above.

    If they think you are going to be using £724 in the next year then no, thats not how it works and they are trying to do you a favour because if you get the £220 back you are just going to owe it again in a year.

    If you are disputing their estimated usage for the next 12 months, thats a seperate conversation but you wont get the credit back, it would just be a lower DD.

  • SuperKenny
    SuperKenny Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

    Thanks for the response. They provide an OnLine Account from this I can see our usage has been constant for the last 18 months (around 160 litres per day). We have been paying 38 and now 42.

    Given our usage is constant how could they estimate 724 for the coming year?

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 June at 2:37PM

    You tell me, I will post what mine looks like below.

    I was £41 in credit, they think I am going to use £641 worth next year so therefore they need £600 off me (12 x £50).

    Is there absolutely no explanation like this on your bill? Its irrelevant what you ACTUALLY used, payment plans like this are based on what they THINK you will use, that figure must be provided somewhere?

    20260601_142328.jpg
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,828 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    My question is can I access the credit - get it paid back into my bank.

    The short answer is no, you can't.

    Regarding new payment, as stated above ….On a side point I am 240 in credit but my bills are increasing from 38 to 42.

    As stated previously, if you look at your bill it will have all the details on it. See the example from la531983 above.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I'm currently £375.08 in credit with Anglian Water.

    But the next bill is due this month (June) and expected to be circa £374, they say… If so they are darned accurate… and my credit will drop to around zero. Then it'll build up again until the next bill in a years time.

  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 4,485 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Given the amounts he is quoting I suspect the OP is on a 12 monthly plan like in my example.

  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.