We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Change disabled class to non disabled class

I am selling my current vehicle to a trader which has disabled class registered on it. When I sell the vehicle will the disabled class automatically be reverted to non disabled class as soon as I tell the DVLA I have sold the vehicle?

Comments

  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 19,117 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper

    Hi @EROBINSONHAMER welcome to MSE

    Re your question, I don’t think it changes automatically just because you sell it, but hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

    When you notify DVLA that you’ve sold/transferred the vehicle, the taxation class usually needs changing separately from 'disabled' to the aproppriate standard class before it can be taxed again. A trader may well sort that out their end if they’re taking it into stock.

    Might be worth a quick check with DVLA though, just to be certain you’ve done everything needed and avoid any future paperwork headaches.

    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thank you. I did call them and they advised the same. Dealer has told me they just need to tax at post office and then the disabled class is removed at that point so all should be good.

    Thanks again

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.