We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cost of adding batteries to existing PV system.

12346»

Comments

  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,733 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Hi QrizB.

    I'll check what connections the Sofar has (it's an early model), but I haven't used comms as I had to go for the 'default' setting, and enter it all manually. I presume it gets its info - SoC etc - from voltage readings.

    I recall I did try the supplied comms cable as an experiment, but it didn't appear to do anything, but that's as likely to have been user-error as much as the fact it was not a catered-for battery (the Series version of the Alpha-Ess).

    Have you asked on the Sofar Facebook page?

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,896 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Have you asked on the Sofar Facebook page?

    I try to avoid Facebook unless there's no other option 😀

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • WIAWSNB
    WIAWSNB Posts: 3,733 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Ha-ha! There some very knowledgeable folk on there, and very helpful - got me through the Firmware update malarkey. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2477195449252168

    This is all I have: Alpha-Ess COM ports are stated (in the spec sheet) as being CAN and RS486 compatible.

    Battery comms.jpg

    The underside of my early Sofar is:

    Sofar.jpg

    And the comms cable that came with this 2nd-hand unit has:

    PXL_20260908_075637662.jpg PXL_20260908_075734311(1).jpg

    No doubt in the 'suck-eggs' category, but each end is wired differently.

  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 14,201 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    No doubt in the 'suck-eggs' category, but each end is wired differently

    Typical crossover?

    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Qriz can I suggest a quick all to Fogstar?

    Firstly they are very helpful, they will know exactly which cable is required, and someone I know was sent one straight away for free.

    Helpful and very MSE

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,896 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thanks all!

    I can see from WIAWSNB's photos that his Sofar has RJ45 sockets (like an Ethernet cable) for his CANBUS and RS485 connections. Mine has RJ11 sockets (like an ADSL cable), which complicates things.

    My Fogstar battery has RJ45 sockets and I was hoping I'd be able to use a network cable for comms, but the RJ11 on the inverter scuppered that plan. The battery has a Pylontech-compatible mode, and my Sofar supports Pylontech batteries, so I'm hoping that with the correct cable it'll be plug n play.

    I can see a couple of sellers online offering RJ11-to-RJ45 comms cables for use with Sofar & Pylontech systems, so it looks like it's a solved problem. I might give Fogstar a call and see if they'll supply a cable but, if not, I'll have to order one.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Do beware that there are to can cable configuration for Pylon batts one with reversed comms connections one straight through pin to pin. Debit mentions above I.e. "crossover?"

    You can only use the correct one!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.