We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How to let go of the purse strings

12346

Comments

  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Vitor has come up with some good ideas there but I think it's important to pick and choose based on your own priorities. I've not flown in a plane since 2015 for example (it was cheaper than rail!). Slightly embarassed to say I'm up in a helicopter again tomorrow as that's my BFF's addiction but I do give her a generous contribution every time.

    Receiving a FS pension at 50 based on service to 45 was odd. Not enough to live on but a good foundation and I managed to leave work that bored me to tears as all the interesting stuff had been outsourced. Subsequent employment was about a third of what I earnt before, but adjusting to income was easy enough (mortgage paid etc.). When I received the state pension I started saving again!

    Follow your fancies. For various reasons I fancied an EV, so instead of my usual 4 year old models I splashed out on a new one, but at a very good price. [I did my research, still an MSEr..] Drove the test drive with a grin and a bigger one when I drove out of the dealer! Off to Italy in it with my pilot in a couple of months to indulge in some serious wine tasting, white water rafting, ziplines etc..

    I do understand the OP though, and last year I inherited a bit, and feel a bit guilty. I could get a bigger, longer range EV but that would really be pushing my MSE credentials and have no need for one as my current model does what I want it to.

  • Shimrod
    Shimrod Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    When it comes to retirement, for many of us MSE should stand for money spending expert instead. It's how best to get value for money, but remembering that we accumulated to spend in later life. I took often find myself dithering over relatively small expenditures that we can easily afford - it's a habit that has been ingrained over the past decades of saving.

  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,992 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Easy once you realise money cannot buy happiness

    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • MarzipanCrumble
    MarzipanCrumble Posts: 450 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 12 May at 1:38PM

    "

    Easy once you realise money cannot buy happiness

    But it can ease the way to happiness by eliminating worry and stress and giving (always) a choice.

  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,992 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 May at 9:06PM
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,627 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It can buy a nice restaurant table at Royal Ascot.

    The 'Vista' restaurant starts from £3,720 per person on Thursday & Friday.

    Personally I would choke on the food at that price 😄

  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 1,686 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 May at 2:51PM

    That's meant for corporate shmoozing, the options at around £500 are more suited to punters. I've found VIP packages at racecourses such as York and Ayr make for a pleasant day out; good view under cover, nice meal, easy acess bar and a dedicated Tote.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,627 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I am sure there is a lot of corporate shmoozing going, but there are also some very wealthy people in the world/London/ around the Ascot area.

    I booked an 'inside seat' at the Races once, but spent 90% of the time outside because it is a sport I follow, and I prefer being close to the action/horses. Plus its a lot cheaper to watch in the Grandstand than the VIP lounge ( no purse strings being let go here 😄)

  • annielyn
    annielyn Posts: 36 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Guess its Horses for Courses! (Sorry , couldn't resist)

    It is interesting to see what people are happy and willing to spend their money on though.

  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 8,333 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    someone mentioned charity shops. I love them. I managed to lose 6 stone with help from my diabetes nurse and a strict low carb diet😺

    Of course there was a downside, my clothes were far too big 🙀 so I gave most of them to charity. I spent the next few months looking on eBay and visiting the local charity shops in our town. It’s an affluent area and some of the things they have are brilliant, very high end.

    One day my OH went shopping and came back with a big surprise for me. He had found a stunning dress in one of the charity shops. It is dark red, made of silk and has a bolero to match. It’s from a local firm that hand makes things to order. It cost £10😺😺😺 The only problem was it’s a size 14 but even with my weight loss I’m a size 16. On my bucket list is being able to get into the dress before I pass.

    now we’re getting on a bit we’ve decided to slim our savings and spend them on luxury items. As he says, you can’t take it with you. We have no one to leave our money to so whoever is left will leave everything to charity. My choice is either Cats Protection or the local Air Ambulance.

    I’ve found something to splash out on. There’s a local air club and they do lots of pleasure flights. The jewel in the crown is an original 2 seater Spitfire. Trips start at £2800 🙀🙀🙀


    But as he says, you can’t take it with you

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.