We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How to let go of the purse strings

12357

Comments

  • Organgrinder
    Organgrinder Posts: 1,117
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    We tend to use either drop and go or meet and greet - the convenience of both is great. I don't tend to use the lounges now as they seem to have increased in cost quite substantially of late.

    The main issue I have is trying to change my mindset - for a while now it has all been about building a retirement fund whilst at the same time ensuring that we have our holidays etc. Very much a balancing act.

    However as I get closer and closer to retiring I'm starting to wonder how to choose which options will work best - do I leave my pension pot alone and live off my pension income and savings, do I purchase a short term annuity etc etc - it's tough trying to change how you approach things!

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,673
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You used to be able to get complimentary access to lounges with some premium bank current accounts./premium credit cards. Probably you still can.

    Although they were not the main airline lounges, but independent operators.

  • Vitor
    Vitor Posts: 1,703
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Have clothes altered properly. A modest jacket, trousers or dress can look and feel much better when fitted.

    Upgrade the chair you spend most time in. Buying a really good desk chair from Herman Miller, reading chair, or TV chair. If you use it daily, comfort matters more than most gadgets.

    Pay for a subscription that removes irritation such as ads on Youtube, Amazon Prime, Spotify etc.

    Buy excellent coffee equipment. Bean-to-cup Krupps machine, grinder, proper beans, or a simple but good pour-over setup

    Book occasional fine dining lunches rather than dinners. Lunch menus are often better value, less formal, and easier to enjoy without making a whole evening of it.

  • annielyn
    annielyn Posts: 38
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    The sayings Buy cheap, Buy twice and You get what you pay for are certainly true. If you can afford it you might as well go for the best.

    Martin Lewis, on his pensions special program this week, mentioned that for retirees who have a decent pension and savings that maybe we should just be be saying spend it.

    Thats good enough for me!

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,673
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    The sayings Buy cheap, Buy twice and You get what you pay for are certainly true. If you can afford it you might as well go for the best.

    But then you do not get that buzz from bagging a bargain, and instead get buyers remorse that you have overpaid/been ripped off . This is MSE you know ☺️

  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 18,787
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite

    I'm not a great fan of guided tours either. I'd rather spend a few quid on a good guide book for an area and then do things at my own pace. I have been on a few tours where there are only a few people, maybe half a dozen, and they have been ok, but expensive.

  • MarthaKL
    MarthaKL Posts: 13
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Meindl boots are by far the best and most comfortable I’ve ever worn. Completely waterproof too. I treat them with care and I expect they’ll last me another few years.

  • MayDogsandCoffee
    MayDogsandCoffee Posts: 248
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Agree with the buy cheap pay twice, I hate shopping so want quality the first time round. I also factor in time, it is far to precious to be spent shopping to save a couple of quid if the money is in the bank losing interest to tax.

  • annielyn
    annielyn Posts: 38
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    ☺️I'm all for bagging a bargain, love a yellow sticker and a rummage in a charity shop.

    I just think that with something that you want to last and use for a long time sometimes its pays to buy the best you can afford (after searching for the cheapest place to buy it of course).

    In the long run that's also money saving.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.