We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Suspicious call purportedly from my bank . .

13»

Comments

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    The worst thing about it is that I thought I was well on top of these scams. I teach young people about them. I’m shocked at how I was sucked in. I always thought it would never happen to me. It’s easy to point a finger and say ‘you should never have read back an OTP’ but as others have agreed, we are used to doing that and when you’re feeling grateful that the bank has avoided money being taken out of your account fraudulently, and you’re busy at the time, it’s easy to let your guard slip. I was never asked for personal information, I assumed the OTP was just to verify me. The lesson is to always assume a call you receive from your bank is not genuine and call the bank yourself. Luckily I have lost nothing.

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,782 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Using a bank that supports CASS switches is also helpful to reduce the admin of changing banks for any reason.

  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    As the OP stated previously Triodos are part of CASS (I've just checked the list myself) so the issue in this case is why the sortcode/account wasn't accepted by RBS.

  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 30,782 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I talked to the fraud department at Triodos this morning. They confirmed that another app has not been set up and that to do so the fraudster would need valid photo ID and a personal photo to match - as well as the code I read back to them.

    I spent this morning contacting companies which don’t allow editing direct details online, so as of now, all my direct debits and CCA payments have been transferred to RBS.

    Thank you all for your helpful comments - and let us all be ultra diligent!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.