We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Suspicious call purportedly from my bank . .

2

Comments

  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,438
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    So do First Direct, but it was when I'd rung them, not them ringing me.

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I’m in a bit of a quandry. I get my pension on 10th of April. I’ve logged on to the Teachers Pensions site to change my bank details and they tell me they’re processing payments so can’t make any changes for next month. Then I thought I would set up a switch from Triodos to my RBS account, but that isn't accepting my Triodos sort code. Triodos is a member of the CASS so I’m not sure why it doesn’t like the Triodos sort code - it’s actually a NatWest code too, 165810. Can a bank belong to CASS but only allow switches one way?

    I’m just concerned that if someone has managed to set up a banking app in my name they will be able to access my pension when it is paid in on 10th April. I’ve empties the account for now, but don’t appear to be able to do anything about my pension being paid in. I HATE weekends!

    Am I worrying needlessly? What could a scammer do if they have intercepted the OTP to set up the banking app? Could they do what I fear?

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,506
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    By "intercepted the OTP" do you mean that you did read the code back to the caller?

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 March at 4:39PM

    Yes, I did, but to set up an app they need photo ID, driving license or passport, and a selfie - as well as the app passcode (which I’ve changed). I’m not sure they’d be able to do it.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,506
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    What about online access via a browser? Does this require an active app as a prerequisite? There seems to be a login method that requires only an email address and a code but which code / what access this gives is not clear.

    image.png
  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 March at 4:51PM

    You need to scan a QR code from within the mobile app to access the account in a browser. What you’re seeing is the old access method by entering a code generated by a physical digipass.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,506
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    …then why does it say "…received an access code by email."?

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,506
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    This is why the scammers have targeted a bank that has no customer service availability outside business hours M-F. Different bank you might well have been able to ask.

    I think that you have probably done all you can at the moment. Get on to Triodos first thing on Monday and see if they can tie down access further once you've explained the issue.

  • confederated
    confederated Posts: 159
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    To be fair they have responded to an email I sent to their fraud department and they have put a temporary block on the account and will be able to manually process my pension payment if I can’t get it diverted.

    At least they’re aware of the situation so I feel happier. I’m still moving back to RBS - I’m having to manually change my bank details with each company - which is painful. Some let you do it online, others you have to call during office hours. I have a headache. All down to my own stupidity, for which I will beat myself up about in a similar way to our glorious leader KS. Lol!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.