We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Found a great cheap fuel finder site

124

Comments

  • robben_2
    robben_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Re the earlier point about driving out of your way to save a few pence a litre, I wouldn’t if it meant making a proper detour just for that.

    But if it’s on a route I’m doing anyway, or only a short hop off it, then yes, definitely. That’s why I quite like this one, it doesn’t just show the cheapest headline price, it also shows the detour and total cost so you can judge whether it’s actually worth bothering with: https://petrolsavings.com/routes

    That makes more sense to me than just chasing the absolute lowest pence per litre with no context.

    I’ve got a long commute 3 days a week, so it does add up, but I’m not driving halfway across the county to save pennies. It’s more useful for those “I’m going that way anyway, may as well fill up there instead” situations.

  • rdr
    rdr Posts: 417 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Love the concept, althoughthe execution in this case is not particularly good, i just tried it for a journey between Essex and Manchester and it approximated the journey with a straight line which is significantly different from any actual sensible route rendering the results mark largely useless.

    I think I might have a go at doing this using Google LM or some such AI

  • robben_2
    robben_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    I sent them an email about it, and they replied back with the following:

    Thank you very much for your email and for taking the time to get in touch with your feedback.

    We’re really pleased to hear that you’re finding Petrol Savings useful. It’s always great to hear from people who are using the site, and we genuinely appreciate you highlighting this point about the routes section.

    I’m pleased to let you know that road routing is now live on the site. You should now be able to find the cheapest petrol stations along a particular route.

    Thanks again for your email, for using the site, and for helping us improve it. Feedback like yours is really valuable to us.

    Best regards,

    PetrolSavings

  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    There is also a site (and an app) that covers many European countries and the UK.

    Fuel Flash

    I've just passed through 9 countries in the past week and found it very accurate and up to the minute.

  • carguru1972
    carguru1972 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

    At the moment with fuel prices still rising (in my town at least), I can drive another 3 mins away from my house to save 6-10p per litre. I personally use the car owl as their cheapest fuel finder I prefer their user interface, however I have found that with the government data we're now reliant with fuel stations updating their fuel prices on the gov portal. Not all fuel stations seem to be adhering to the protocol of updating their prices 30 mins after changing them.

  • 4hp
    4hp Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    As someone who also works with the fuel-finder data, some stations are not great at updating, a lot are though. I think its more that individual websites only update prices on their own schedule too, + the underlying gov.uk api is quite flakey. Overall its a really good scheme though

  • 4hp
    4hp Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    I know I do! On principle as much as anything. You can, if sufficiently a nerd, which again I am, do the break even calculation if you want to justify it, but even if not, voting with your wallet is a good way of communicating with BP/Shell et al that they dont have a monopoly . Def worth it on both accounts for me to drive a bit further

    Screenshot 2026-05-05 at 13.00.17.png
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,490 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Early job I had in the last century was for a Very Big Oil Company with nationwide chain of petrol stations. I looked after their petrol price database, which had the forecourt prices that were being offered by their competitors, the prices were phoned in every other day by the staff at their stations who had to go and check on the competition. No doubt their competitors were doing the same thing.

  • 4hp
    4hp Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post

    Interesting. And I assume still are! I presume they have also all built their own competitor tracking tools using this now.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,490 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm sure they are, although probably not using IMS/DL1 on an IBM 360 mainframe (although…….)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.