My poor old dog

Options
My 15 year old collie cross has been in a very bad way these last few days.She has been on medication for incontinence for a few years and for arthritis for the last year. She has gone very thin and the vet says her muscles in the back legs have wasted away. She has a very good appetite and manages to "totter" around the garden. However she appears to have become totally incontinent (not just drops whole puddles now). She has also collapsed three times over the last two days and couldnt stand up for hours. Her sight is also very bad now (they have thatblue haze).Last night she collapsed and was laying in a pool of wee and was then sick.I laid her in her basket She didnt stand up again untilthis afternoon. I am finding this very upsetting to see her like this and know she can only get worse. When do you know the time is right to make "the choice" for your dog? If she wasnt eating i would know it was now but because she is enjoying her food (although now finding it hard to swallow)it doesnt seem right . Her back legs are in a very bad way and she just staggers, she cannot walk. Just would like your thoughts.

Comments

• JCD_Capulet
    JCD_Capulet Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd say that when a pets quality of life drops to such an extent that it is struggling, doesn't seem happy within itself/depressed and can't have fun anymore...i'd think that's the right time. Going by your post imported_goldie I think you've already made the decision but a bit reluctant (as anyone would be at this stage).

In the end, we need to do what's right for our pets. Big hugs to you hon xx
    Debt free since 2014 - now saving for a mortgage deposit :heart2:
    This time I'm on top of it! We live and learn :coffee:
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say that when a pets quality of life drops to such an extent that it is struggling, doesn't seem happy within itself/depressed and can't have fun anymore...i'd think that's the right time.

I agree with that and i think in your heart you already know the answer..((hugs to you))
  • Alibi_2
    Alibi_2 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Its hard to know when "its time" but take a good look at your little friend, they will let you know when enough is enough.

Like JCD_Capulet said I too think you have deep down made the decision.

Big hugs to you both x
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    15 years is a good life and after looking after her this long she now needs you to be strong and help her this one final time... I think you know it's the right thing to do but we do find it so hard to let go of our friends which just shows how much you must love her...
    You know it's the right thing to do. Why don't you call the vet and ask them if they can do it at home where she is happy and comfortable if you think she might get stressed going to the vets?
    Blessed be and be strong!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • dizzy_lizzie
    dizzy_lizzie Posts: 2,952 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I'm so sorry for the decision you're having to make. Keep giving her lots of hugs and kisses, I'm sure you do this anyway :)
    Luv and hugz for you both, Dizzy x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • bonar
    bonar Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    I really do know how you are feeling we had our 14 year old border collie cross put to sleep on 28th dec. He was an absolute sweetie but we had noticed that he was slowing down these last few months, was deaf, but for the week before he would only eat a tiny little amount of real food. he also fell a couple of times as his back legs were going.

on the 28th we woke up to find that he was hardly moving and looking really miserable and sad and so decision was made to take him to the vets.

she discovered that he had cancer so the decision was made to put him out of his misery. Needless to say we were devastated. However, we all had to put our upset aside and put bonar first. he brought us so many years of happiness and it would have just been too awful to keep him going.
    we were just so and still are so lost without him, soooooo this afternoon we bought a west highland terrier puppy. My youngest boy (9 years) is just delighted and it was the kind of dog he wanted, and I must say having pictures of both dogs around the house have really really helped.

best wishes for what you decide,you are in my thoughts
  • dizzy_lizzie
    dizzy_lizzie Posts: 2,952 Forumite
    Options
    So sorry for you too bonar. As you can see in my avatar we have a 3 year old JR. Can't bear to think of the time when I may need to make that decision.
    Luv and hugz x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • beaney50
    beaney50 Posts: 173 Forumite
    Options
    We were in a similar position to youself with our 14 year old Polish Lowland sheepdog and the vet came to the house as it would have been v difficult to transport him to the vets. We had already dug the hole to bury him and the whole experience was very peaceful. By the time the vet had finished the injection my dog had passed away and although I have tears in my eyes now remembering him I could not have wished for a better ending. Be brave and treasure your memories.
  • homeworkgirl
    Options
    Awww, my heart really goes out to you. I know exactly how you are feeling, it is heartbreaking to say that final goodbye. I had my darling cat pts last Nov and I was devastated but I was so very lucky, my Vet is such a wonderful person and she made Tessa's ending so much more bearable. She gave her a sedative first and it was so lovely to see her so relaxed and out of pain and kitten like again for a few mins whilst I cuddled her on my lap.

I think you know that time has come and I will be thinking of you. Please when you feel up to it let us know how you got on. xxxxx Sue
  • imported_goldie
    Options
    Thanks so much for your kind replies. Still havent made a decision, its all the harder because she is eating well and it doesnt seem right but she doesnt seem happy so know will have to decide soon. Guess i am just hoping she will go in her sleep peacefully.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure