We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Over 70s driving licence renewal

mookev
mookev Posts: 65 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts

At 72 years of age My driving licence is due for renewal on my 73rd birthday in mid may. I went to do it recently but on the website, it was suggested that if I renew it now, within the 90 day window allowed, the expiry date will be from the date the renewal is processed not the date my current 3 year licence expires inn mid may. This therefore is not 3 yearly and if I renew too soon, I could lose a month or more each renewal. Equally, if I leave it too close to overcome this,i would be at risk of not having a valid license should it be delayed. I am sure when I renewed it approaching my 70th birthday, I did it early, but the renewal date of my new licence was setcat the day before my 73rd birthday. Have the rules been changed and Has anyone else experienced this please?

Comments

  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 19,117 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper

    If you leave it nearer to your birthday, you can continue to drive while your licence is being renewed

    https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    It costs you nothing so why the concern over the loss of a month.

    My licence was renewed in November last year but is valid until January 2029 so I don't think you actually lose anything

  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 310 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    The expiry date for your new licence, whether you renew it now or nearer to your birthday, will be on your 76th birthday.

  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,995 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I renewed my licence very early, the day I got the notification

    Just checked and it ends on my birthday 2028

    I received the new one within 5 days

  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 10,686 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    As already said the renewal is free so it is not in their financial interests to expire it early. Financial interests tend to be a very good guide.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,306 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    edited 4 March at 6:11PM

    The date of issue of the licence is the date it is renewed but it is valid until your birthday in 3 years time.

    mine was issued n October but is valid until January 2028

  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March at 10:03PM

    My birthday is in September (thanks for the card and bottle of Malt Whisky) but licence expires in January. I hold a Medical Endorsed licence and the expiry is Three years from issue which is January.

  • Reddleman79
    Reddleman79 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    My licence expires three years after the issue date, not my birthday. It is however, a C1 licence and requires enhanced eye test and medical certificate.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.