We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Floods and EV's
What happens if you try to drive an EV through deep water ?
Not that I would ever try or even have an EV…..
There's no air intake or exhaust - so it's down to waterproof electrics ?
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
Comments
-
30 seconds in. In spite of a warning notice too. You can't legislate for those a bit limp under the cap. Maybe took the wrong turn during the milk round?
Is that hydroelectric power?
0 -
EV will come out the other side far more often that a ICE.
Electics are well sealed.
Main reason not to drive through floods, is the same as all cars, you have no idea just how deep the water is, what is actually under the water (hole or rock) & the current pushing car off road.
Life in the slow lane3 -
Someone I knew drove their i3 through water deep enough to get to just below the driver's window level. Car worked fine. I did wonder why it didn't come through the door seals.
And, before you ask, I have no idea why she went through the water that deep other than she didn't realise how deep it was going to get. The bit of road she was on did not usually flood but there had been excessive rain the night before.
0 -
I drove through almost 3 feet of water in a Mitsubishi Pinin - 20 years ago - the door seals held and the engine was OK - The exhaust was submerged but the air intake was on top of the engine and was OK.
The water came half way up the doors - the wheels were completely covered
I was on my way to work and the alternative was a 20 mile detour.
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
"You can't park there mate!"
0 -
A Pinin is a pretty rugged wee offroader though, so it's not really comparible. My dad drove a diesel Passat through about a foot of water once and wrecked the turbo.
Exactly, all of the things that can go wrong with an EV would also go wrong with ICE.
Except an EV doesn't need to worry about flooding an exhaust or turbo intake.
In theory EV's would be much better in general for offroad stuff, as you can move the batteries around to aid ground clearance.0 -
Eh? You've changed your tune from a couple of weeks ago …
3 -
He makes a post every month or so with some really niche reason EV's may not be suitable, but to be fair it often generates some interesting discussion.
0 -
No I haven't changed my tune - I am just concerned that once I decide, that I don't regret it
I must say that what is happening in the middle east does tend to point me towards EV's
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
Why? Electric prices pretty much doubled after the Ukraine war started. My off peak rate was 4p/kWh before and is now 8p/kWh. Yes, still cheaper than a petrol/diesel car if I charge at home, but if you have to use road side chargers I believe it is about the same cost per mile.
2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
