We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Floods and EV's
Comments
-
Duuurr !
Believe it or not - petrol prices are going up - result of Middle East issues !
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
But electricity prices have peaked - they can only drop in the long term - whereas Oil prices can only increase !
Hence this decision
If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.0 -
Even as a EV driver. I would not be so sure given that electric priced are part based on gas prices.
I would not be surprised if the proposed cuts due later this year do not happen, due to gas prices.
Even today gas is producing 54% of electric production (16:13) was lower earlier on.
Life in the slow lane1 -
I know. But, my point, as others have said, is, so have electricity prices.
My experience is petrol/diesel prices fluctuate more than electricity. In my area petrol prices reached about 170p per litre in summer 2022 up from about 140p per litre at the end of 2021. They are now back to about 132p per litre. As I said previously my cheap rate electricity is still double.
0 -
For around £3,000 you can get batteries and an inverter fitted and buy CHEAP electricity. They have a surplus at night so sell it cheap. I have a friend with solar panels and an electric car and he actually makes money from it as he sells it back for more than he pays.
0 -
I have been eyeing up the EV equivalent of mine in a slightly nicer spec and haven't been able to justify the expense. It's tempting right now before prices adjust, but I still don't think it makes sense for how low my mileage is.
1 -
Yep, got a few forum friends who have loads of PV and batts, one also has V2G, so able to charge up large amounts over night to sell back during the day. They earn a lot more than they spend, so a negative(?) bill.
I'm not quite so bad, but PV and batts mean that I don't need to buy any day rate leccy anymore*. So despite fully electric home, and two BEV's, our annual leccy bill is ~£600. Was hoping to match that with export income this year, but the reduction in Octopus rate from 15p to 12p means it'll be closer to £500. But that's OK.
*Inevitably some day rate leaks through, lots of ickle amounts as the inverter tries to match output to house demand, plus inability to keep up with microwave and induction hob as they fluctuate power. Plus, evening oven use can sometimes push us over the inverter max output. So typically, around 15kWh to 20kWh of day rate leccy gets through, per month.
Mart. Cardiff. 8.72 kWp PV systems (2.12 SSW 4.6 ESE & 2.0 WNW). 28kWh battery storage. Two A2A units for cleaner heating. Two BEV's for cleaner driving.
For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

