We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Why Do Ebay Sellers Tell Outright Lies ?

13»

Comments

  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    To be fair to sellers I have personal recent experience of an Ebay seller printing a Royal mail label and handing the item to RM 24 but RM not actually scanning it into their system for 5 days.

    in this case the seller could have been perceived as a liar but was nothing of the sort

    There are plenty of people on Ebay forums saying the same thing

    RM then claimed that they had tried to deliver and failed

    However the our ring camera and our very alert guard hound did not detect any evidence that this was true

  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,531 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    As a seller I've had to stop using Royal Mail 2nd Class as a service, some deliveries were taking 2 weeks.

    .
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,495 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I think this might be very area specific, like you locally to me RM seems to have collapsed - my Evri items are arriving considerably faster than my RM ones generally, regardless of what RM service used.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,531 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I mostly sell on Amazon still and I can't use Evri as their delivery is too erratic. I have to stick with Royal Mail Tracked 24 and 48. Tracked 24 is probably the best next day delivery service you can get for the price. With my account I get quite a big weight range for the same price so it works out really good value for me for some bigger weights.

    .
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,520 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    And another one. Advertised as T48 and sent by 1st / 2nd - who knows ? - with POD. I like having a tracked service as I will know when it is arriving rather than being out and the postie taking it back or dumping it in some random place.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 10 April at 6:14AM

    Prchased a DVD on the 24th March RM Tracked48. Still not arrived. Initial delivery estimate was 4 - 11 days after the purchase date.

    Not contacted the seller yet because I know RM are currently not fit for purpose and hoping it turns up soon, it's a rare DVD to find
    with no others currently listed. I think the company supplying them went bust soon after releasing this one.

    Just checked some of the sellers other items and their Tracked48 items have a delivery estimate of 8 - 16 days and they say they
    post the same day if ordered before 3pm.

    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Recently had trouble with postage times.

    Needed a car part for a date to do the job on my weekend off.

    Bought said part dearer than what some where selling at because the expected delivery time was in time for my weekend whereas the cheaper ones weren't.

    Should've landed with me Friday at the latest.

    Except they took a few days to even bother posting it out. So it came the middle of the following week.

    Couldn't do anything that week as I was working so returned it & bought it cheaper from another seller.

    🤐🤐🤐

  • sonearandyetsofa
    sonearandyetsofa Posts: 102 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Sellers don't have much control over the estimated dispatch time, unfortunately. I tell eBay that it can take up to 10 working days to handle plus up to a further 5 working days to deliver on some items (bbulky, delicate, awkward furniture). That should produce an estimated delivery date of 2 to 3 weeks. Sometimes it shows that. Other times, because a customer is nearer to me, I can deliver faster. After I've done that, eBays algorithm helpfully decide show my customers an estimated date that's just 5 working days from the purchase date, even though the customer who got fast delivery was located 50 miles away and the one who's been shown 5 working days delivery is 300 miles away. It's frustrating for everyone involved.

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,520 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Also they have not really protected themselves as the item, according to the RM tracking, has not been delivered. Two items arrived that day with standard tracking numbers neither are "delivered".

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 8,336 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Really? I buy loads of things from Amazon, Etsy and eBay. They rarely get delivered after the estimated time and quite often it’s on the first day. I ordered something from Etsy and was expecting it today. It arrived last Wednesday😺


    I have an Amazon account and when they say it’s next day delivery it is. The only time things were different was at the height of the Covid pandemic. As I retired I get to watch all the programs on Amazon Prime

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.