We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Avoid non sterling transaction fee
tartopom
Posts: 13 Forumite
All I want is a way to pay for online purchases in Euros and avoid a non sterling transaction fee, bad exchange rates or any other fees. I've read the travel spending article but most of the solutions presented have various issues for me:
The only options remaining, based on info from the article, are the Yonder debit card or prepaid travel cards. Admittedly I haven't done a deep dive on either of those options yet, but does anyone have a recommendation that would meet my needs?
- Credit cards or full credit checks aren't viable for me
- I can't use banking apps (phone too old) - this appears to rule out the Chase mastercard optionThe only options remaining, based on info from the article, are the Yonder debit card or prepaid travel cards. Admittedly I haven't done a deep dive on either of those options yet, but does anyone have a recommendation that would meet my needs?
0
Comments
-
Who do you bank with? Do you have online access?
Pretty much any product that does what you want will be phone app based, even if it comes with a physical card.0 -
I have Natwest and Lloyd's current accounts (the latter opened only a year or two ago) neither of which require a smartphone even if they do try to shove their app down your throat.0
-
I take it that you find the fees/conversion rates applied if you were to use either of Lloyds or NatWest debit cards unattractive?0
-
First Direct. No non-sterling fees, Mastercard exchange rate, and no requirement for a smartphone (for online banking they have a physical secure key you can use instead of a smartphone app).0
-
Would be good choice, unfortunately OP doesn't want hard credit check.zagfles said:First Direct. No non-sterling fees, Mastercard exchange rate, and no requirement for a smartphone (for online banking they have a physical secure key you can use instead of a smartphone app).0 -
How much are you going to be spending abroad? Enough to justify buying the most basic smartphone that will run a banking app so that Chase or Starling become an option? Doesnt need to be your main phone and in principle never needs to leave the house after setting up the account nor have a SIM as long as you are on wifi at home.tartopom said:All I want is a way to pay for online purchases in Euros and avoid a non sterling transaction fee, bad exchange rates or any other fees. I've read the travel spending article but most of the solutions presented have various issues for me:- Credit cards or full credit checks aren't viable for me- I can't use banking apps (phone too old) - this appears to rule out the Chase mastercard option
The only options remaining, based on info from the article, are the Yonder debit card or prepaid travel cards. Admittedly I haven't done a deep dive on either of those options yet, but does anyone have a recommendation that would meet my needs?0 -
They are about 3% which seems standard now. I want an option that removes that fee.flaneurs_lobster said:I take it that you find the fees/conversion rates applied if you were to use either of Lloyds or NatWest debit cards unattractive?
0 -
Sounds.clever until.you realise that the most basic.smartphone will either not run those apps or will stop running them in a few months at which point I am back to square 1.MyRealNameToo said:
How much are you going to be spending abroad? Enough to justify buying the most basic smartphone that will run a banking app so that Chase or Starling become an option? Doesnt need to be your main phone and in principle never needs to leave the house after setting up the account nor have a SIM as long as you are on wifi at home.tartopom said:All I want is a way to pay for online purchases in Euros and avoid a non sterling transaction fee, bad exchange rates or any other fees. I've read the travel spending article but most of the solutions presented have various issues for me:- Credit cards or full credit checks aren't viable for me- I can't use banking apps (phone too old) - this appears to rule out the Chase mastercard option
The only options remaining, based on info from the article, are the Yonder debit card or prepaid travel cards. Admittedly I haven't done a deep dive on either of those options yet, but does anyone have a recommendation that would meet my needs?0 -
Which Lloyds current account? The Club Lloyds account has no fx fees.tartopom said:I have Natwest and Lloyd's current accounts (the latter opened only a year or two ago) neither of which require a smartphone even if they do try to shove their app down your throat.
There's a monthly charge, but it's refunded if you pay in £2000 per month, which doesn't have to stay there - a quick in & out is enough to have the monthly fee waived.0 -
I have something called the 'classic' which charges 3% unless I pay £7 a week, and I can only do this it for 6 weeks a year so pointless. I havn't checked what the admission criteria for the premium accounts like club, gold etc but suspect i either don't meet them or they would charge a monthly fee.Barkin said:
Which Lloyds current account? The Club Lloyds account has no fx fees.tartopom said:I have Natwest and Lloyd's current accounts (the latter opened only a year or two ago) neither of which require a smartphone even if they do try to shove their app down your throat.
There's a monthly charge, but it's refunded if you pay in £2000 per month, which doesn't have to stay there - a quick in & out is enough to have the monthly fee waived.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
