We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

La Dolce Vita 2026

12346

Comments

  • TheGrubbyGardener
    TheGrubbyGardener Posts: 11 Forumite
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 September at 5:38PM

    Exciting that you're getting a lovely new sofa @helensbiggestfan! Are you redecorating too?

    And gosh, shampooing rugs sounds like fun…not! You're braver than me. Are they large and how are you managing to dry them?

    I don't think I've ever shampooed a rug, although we did borrow a friend's vax for a fitted carpet when we used to have them back in the day and it didn't end well!

    I've actually been moving a couple of our vintage rugs today - swapping them between rooms - and they were stupidly heavy! DGDog thought it was a game, bless him 💙 I'm much happier with the placement now as the Oka kilim (online charity shop find) looks so much better with my vibrant 1987 Osborne & Little curtains than the more muted one did.

  • I'm using a vax. It's pretty effective. To make sure the rug dries properly I set up a dehumidifier. I did the big one first. Pretty heavy work. It's a charity shop bargain, vintage, pure wool and gorgeous colours, 12ft x 10ft so very heavy to move. Only paid £15 for it. The other two are smaller so hopefully they will be easier.

    Today made a start on the garage. Back breaking work. I've just woken up after crashing out afterwards and sleeping for 2 hrs, I think maybe I'm getting a bit too old for this kind of work…..lol.

  • TheGrubbyGardener
    TheGrubbyGardener Posts: 11 Forumite
    10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 September at 5:11PM

    Ah, great idea to use a dehumidifier to aid the drying process! Thanks for the tip 😁

    What a bargain - that's an amazing price! We paid £250 for the Oka one iirc (which had an RRP of £1200 or thereabouts) and I thought that was good. I'd love to see it in your room when you're all finished with the room refresh - seeing other people's spaces can be so inspiring.

    Currently we have six rugs/kilims, all old except one that looks vintage, being shaggy. We had to sell two that we had no space for here, but replaced them with the Oka and another antique kilim, both of which I love and I've made my peace with letting the others go, lol 😆

    Our best rug (an antique Persian) only fitted in the house after we'd removed some awful 60s built-in cupboards. Tbh, we wouldn't have bought the cottage if I didn't think we could squeeze it in!

    I've been working on a piece of art over the past few days. It's not quite finished and far from a masterpiece, but it's original, cost nothing as I already had the canvas/paint and suits our style, so I'm happy.

  • IMG_0717.jpeg

    new sofa. Ignore paintings, accessories. It's a work in progress. Lol

  • Your rug is gorgeous ❤️ Thanks for sharing! And the sofa looks very comfy…great colour choice too.

    We had to sell our big sofa as it was way too tight for the 'snug' here and too huge/bulky to get up the winding stairs to the larger TV room. It sold for £400 which was OK, but the moment it went I regretted selling. The replacement whilst a better size for the space, is inferior quality-wise and ideally needs different colour loose covers as we chose it for the shape, lol!

  • helensbiggestfan
    helensbiggestfan Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 23 September at 6:14PM

    Took the sofa photo yesterday to show my kids before I had finished dressing the room, so the room looks a bit bleak there. As well as facing east It also over looks woodland so can be a bit dark on a summers afternoon when the trees are in full leaf. As I write the trees are just starting to turn, In a couple of weeks it will be a riot of autumn colour. Autumn is my absolute favourite time of year.

    It's been a busy couple of weeks, gardening, made a start on the garage and as the nights draw in I am enjoying cooking proper food again and cosy evenings catching up with films, and a couple of tv series.

    Last night I watched the very last in the 7 Up series. Now 70 Up. I have watched every single programme and it's been fascinating. I feel that I have grownup with these people. Last nights goodbye was very moving. Definitely the end of an era and it has made me reflect on my own life, the highs and lows, the successes and failures, the good, the bad and yes the ugly. My life has been a bit of a rollercoaster - hopefully there's still plenty to come. As I type this I'm listening to some of my favourite music from the 70s on You tube.

    We sure had some "banging tunes" back in the day. 😂

    I've also watched the second series of The Gentlemen. It was an absolute cracker. A classic stylish thriller in the Guy Ritchie tradition. Not for the squeamish because it is violent and the humour is rather dark, but the dialogue is witty and clever. The "hero" is the gorgeous Theo James, although in the second series he is definitely going over to the Dark Side. 😂🤣.

    I await Series 3 with bated breath.

  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 9,165 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I met my friend last night and she talked about The Gentlemen too. I haven’t seen it.

    I was telling her about the show Reacher and showed her the pic of what Alan Ritchson looks like (❤️) and I was getting confused by the film I saw with Alan Ritchson was The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. I thought that was quite good.👍

  • annieb64
    annieb64 Posts: 741 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I love your snug.My type of room.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.