We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

La Dolce Vita 2026

12467

Comments

  • helensbiggestfan
    helensbiggestfan Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 17 June at 6:11PM

    I was wondering about pocket doors. They would be a good space saving solution. If there's not enough room, then I was thinking folding doors for an open plan look when required.

  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I had my separate kitchen and dining room converted into one as soon as I moved in here, but they were both quite small rooms so it made sense to do that. If you entertain quite a lot then it’s good to have the space, so pocket or folding doors might be a solution.
    I’m quite a messy cook but I’m not bothered about it looking untidy if I’ve just served up a meal. Most things go straight in the dishwasher as I’m cooking.

    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • helensbiggestfan
    helensbiggestfan Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper


    Life in the red zone….lol

    all I can say is roll on Sunday. I'm done for.

  • Humdinger1
    Humdinger1 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    What are pocket doors? And @helensbiggestfan, the way you take your time to make the right decision is spot-on. Onwards and upwards love Humdinger xx

  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 18,813 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Pocket doors slide into the cavity between the walls so are out of sight.

  • helensbiggestfan
    helensbiggestfan Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 1 July at 10:07AM


    Thanks. I do sometimes feel that I am taking too long to make decisions but with limited financial resources and no longer being physically able to do much DIY myself these days I have to get it right first time. I can't afford to pay tradesmen to correct my wrong decisions….lol

    I am basically concentrating on the outside for now but then of course I am at the mercy of the weather. Heatwaves aren't really conducive to gardening. There has been a lot of failed experiments, new planting that has failed to thrive due to poor soil and extreme heat. Even established shrubs look like they are dying.

    I've had to rescue some new planting and put them into pots for now, setting up a mini plant nursery in an area that gets more shade. My handyman is coming tomorrow. I'm going to dig up the old shrubs that are failing, then treat the soil with claybreaker and fertiliser. Hopefully I can then then replant in September/October. Stocking a garden from scratch is expensive so I shall be taking some cuttings over the next few days. Since actual gardening is out of the question I shall be jet washing, painting fences etc.

    So yes, progress is slower than I would like. In the meantime I am looking at ideas for new furnishings. I am changing my style a bit……..definitely moving away from the millenial grey that I inherited in this house. I might even break the habit of a lifetime and use wallpaper. I have always chosen plain emulsioned walls in fairly neutral colours because I had to think about reselling. I'm done with that, I want colour, pattern, texture, rich sumptous fabrics, unashamed luxury. Lol. I have started buying paintings and artworks. Now thinking about sofas, etc.

    My birthday next Monday. 75. Mixed feelings. Grateful to still be alive of course and to be in reasonably good nick but not overjoyed at the prospect of another year older. Time seems to race by. My kids are now middle aged and my grandchildren are not babies any more. It's scary.

    Hey ho, as my old dad used to say "It beats the alternative". 😂🤣

  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 9,165 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    What are you doing for your birthday? Anything nice?

  • And the rain it doth raineth……..and I'm loving it.😂. And so is the garden. It's finally coming back to life.

    Good morning lovely ladies. Have we all recovered from those wretched heatwaves. I love summer, but I guess you can have too much of a good thing. And now, it's almost my favourite time of the year. I am loving the early autumn vibes. Cosy season here.

    Well now what's new. As I mentioned the garden is finally starting to recover although I have lost a lot of shrubs and plants so for the next few weeks it's time for some serious garden TLC.

    Indoors it's time for a serious declutter, especially the garage. And my wardrobe is stuffed with clothes I either don't like or which don't fit me. So as the seasons change it's time for a refresh. I've plenty of coats, bags, gloves etc but I do need some nice knitwear. I have already bought some new pjs and some comfy at home lounge wear.

    I have organised a pick up for unwanted furniture in a couple of weeks and then I can start designing and decorating my home. I have lived with millennium grey (courtesy of the previous owners) quite long enough. Time for colour, luxurious fabrics, and bringing my favourite artworks, ornaments and accessories out of storage. Starting with the downstairs flooring first. A big job so I'll get that out the way once the sofas have gone. It will mean no sofas for a while so probably no visitors or entertaining for a few weeks.

    Still car free, happy enough but starting to wonder if I should lash out and get another motor. Tbh I don't miss driving but I do miss the freedom of having a car. Will mull it over.

    I did have a lovely birthday thanks. Afternoon tea with my family at a garden centre and then they treated me to some gorgeous plant pots, large deep blue ceramic. I had had my eye on them for a while but I would have felt guilty at spending so much money on plant pots. However, as they were a gift I graciously accepted them with gratitude and pleasure. Now proudly sitting by my front door. My prized bay tree (which was also a gift) looks wonderful in one of them.

    So after a lazy summer it's all systems go.


    Right time for second breakfast and then some house cleaning whilst it's raining.

    Hope everyone is well and happy.

  • Rosetta92
    Rosetta92 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I am delurking to join. I too would like a better living space so that I can enjoy a cosy and stylish winter. For the car situation have you investigated whether there is a local car club you could join? Or a good local hire company? That way you could have the freedom of wheels when you need them without all the hassle of ownership.

  • helensbiggestfan
    helensbiggestfan Posts: 2,484 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 2 September at 8:34PM

    Occasional car hire might be a great compromise. What a good idea. I'll definitely look into it. A couple of days every so often should cover my needs.

    Have had quite a lazy day, browsing the internet for furniture. (Too wet for gardening). Fell in love with a beautiful leather sofa but it was £1600 and I don't really want to spend that much because I also want to replace the grey laminate flooring. I have a large pure wool oriental rug (charity shop bargain £15 lol) so you don't actually see much of the floor, it's just I would prefer a more traditional colour. As I said I want a warm and cosy vibe.

    Anyway I eventually found a more realistically priced sofa at £699, olive green velvet which picks out one of the colours in the rug, so it should come together nicely. Paying less for the sofa frees up the budget for the flooring, new lighting etc.

    Its all about stretching the pennies isn't it.

    As I write I am watching "The Ghost and Mrs Muir", one of my favourite films. It features "Gull Cottage"- a dream house overlooking the sea. Perfect. Lol.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.