We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.2026 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN Mrs SD - our Year of Redistribution
Comments
-
@suzeesu2000 and @TC77 cut a lemon in half & secure one half over the end of the tap with an elastic band, leave overnight and that should loosen the limescale.
2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇⭐
2025 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐15 -
I’ve done it with white vinegar multiple times. Sadly tenants before me weren’t particular. Then we had big bouts of health stuff when I wasn’t doing much deep cleaning (DH had big heart stuff + triple bypass, then I had cancer) so it kind of grew. It’s taking me time but I’m winning. Pumice stone has worked really well. I’ll try doing the lemon though as that might just kill it! Thanks xx
Saving 1 animal wont change the world - but it will change the world for that 1 animal
2026 Frugal Living Challenge
2026 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN Mrs SD - our Year of Redistribution
26 for 202615 -
I’m currently de-limescaling my chrome shower pipes with a 50:50 solution of white vinegar and water. A cotton rag (old tshirt) is soaked in the solution and wrapped round the pipe and then rubbed. I’m not leaving it on for very long as I don’t want to ruin the chrome but it is shifting.
✒️ Declutter 2026 🏅 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅)
👗 Fashion on the Ration 2026 58/66✒️ Declutter 2025 🏅👗 Fashion on the Ration 2025✒️Declutter 2024 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2024✒️Declutter 2023 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅(and one for DSis 🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2023✒️Declutter 2022 🏅 🏅 ⭐️ ⭐️👗Fashion on the Ration 2022✒️Declutter 2021 ⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅👗Fashion On The Ration 2021 (late joining due to ‘war work’)17 -
- Daily To Do List - written the night before
- Sort out sleep patterns - initial targets: bed by 03:00, up by 10:30
- Don’t put it down, put it away + deal with mini tasks as soon as they are noticed e.g. refill olive pourer or salt cellar, stitch up a hole in a garment etc.
- Commence ‘Operation Financial Frog Tickling’ using the acronym - I.R.I.S. (Identify, Research, Implement, Sign Off) - One per quarter
- Continue to keep kitchen clean & tidy - before going to bed
- Plan & Execute ONE Major Project - 2026 New Bathroom
- Target 2026 items out
Saturday is another dull overcast day with a forecast high of 14°C (feeling 3° colder due to a W wind) & a low of 6°C Another weekend of MotoGP (in Spain), so DH is watching the last practice sessions followed by the qualifying races. It has rained on & off all afternoon - short sharp showers. I made spaghetti bolognaise for dinner. Remaining bolognaise sauce was cooled then bagged & put in freezer. Wudupa
846 - 847 Kitchen recycling, drinks cans - recycled
848 Kitchen detritus binned
BlueJ94, that is amazing 🥲 More to the point it looks like something that can be done 😊 although I am a bit surprised that there is no light shade 😉
Steady decluttering TC77 👏 Hopefully you can sort out both HMRC & the accident information 🤞
vulpix, at the rate the two Js are working, you will soon have an absolutely amazing garden ☺️ Hope your friend likes the golden privet 🤞 Very sad to hear about your friend’s Shetland pony 🥺
QueenJess, perhaps you can approach this by stealth - one feature wall the next time you & DH decorate 🥷 Excellent work staying in Maintenance Mode 👏 Very impressed that it only takes you under 30 minutes to tidy up when visitors are expected 🥳 A medal 🏅 is on its way for finally being able to defrost the big chest freezer 😊
Moorviews, very stylish 😉 Excellent work in the garden 👏 Fingers crossed that your French beans are just teasing you 🤞 Well done on dealing with the jeans & dealing with paperwork 👏
Florenceem, more excellent decluttering 👏 Sorry to hear that you are still feeling overwhelmed with ‘stuff’ especially as you have decluttered so much 😔 I think your daughter will be amazed at how much you have done 🤩
Willowtree222, This “I always try to look at how far I have come, not how far I have left to go. So many people have made so much progress. There is always more to do but a little stop and look at the journey can sometimes put things back into perspective.” is very well said 🥹
Excellent work Florenceem 👏 I love the gloves, such a pretty colour ☺️
TC77, well done to you & DD1 for moving along a frog 👏 Pleased to hear that you have invited your neighbour around ☺️ I bet she will notice a difference 😊
Florenceem, sounds like you have a busy weekend planned 🙂 Excellent decluttering from the large RoD 👏 Very pleased to hear that you are noticing a difference ☺️
TC77, some great decluttering 👏 Pleased to hear that you have found DD2’s laptop 😊 but a pity that it needs repairing 😞 Am I correct in thinking she will be back in 5 weeks 🤔 Glad that my idea for the bureau key has worked 😊 I do occasionally have a good one 😉 Good luck with your sale bundles 🍀
suzeesu2000, you were braver than me as I have had the heating on as well as wearing plenty of warm clothes 😉 Sorry to hear that you are having “tummy troubles” again 😔 Great work with the painting & the lateral thinking re protecting the top of the bedside drawers 👏
florianatwobob, might be nice if both you & your friend got hired 🤔
Dizzycap, you certainly had a busy Friday 🤩 Great work getting the washing done + all that tech work 👏 Very pleased to hear that Babyface is feeling so much better & tiring herself out with “a crazy fruit-loop run” ☺️ Brilliant video 🤩 + I watched the ‘new dad’ one as well ☺️
BlueJ94, hope the boot sale went ahead & the particular seller you wanted was there 🤞
Excellent work dealing with frogs Green_hopeful 👏 A medal 🏅 is on its way together with a Gold Star ⭐️ for moving 3 tonnes of gravel 🤩 Good luck selling the door handles 🍀
Well said Soontobeoap 😊
Florenceem, 11,000 steps on Friday 🤩 no wonder you fell asleep quickly. Good luck with your continuing efforts to empty the large RoD 🍀 Sorry to hear about your son,s ex-MIL 😔
Dizzycap, that sounds like way more than 4 seasons of weather 😧 Pleased to hear that you & Babyface managed at least a little time in the sun 😊
Florenceem, I think your Bestie deserves a Gold Star ⭐️ & 💐
Brie, hopefully you got the paint off your hoodie 🤞 You decluttering so many bras has reminded me that I really, really need new bras 😉 I currently have just 3 ☹️
regnbue, Mauritius looks absolutely beautiful 😍 and 28°C sounds like the perfect temperature ☺️ Sounds like you had a wonderful time 🥹
TC77, I rarely manage to coordinate outer way 🙊 Good luck with the dusting 🍀
Florenceem, I do hope that both your daughters & your granddaughter loved the summerhouse & admired how much decluttering you have done 🙏 I must admit to being relieved that you are no longer trying to get the large RoD emptied so quickly 🥹 More excellent decluttering
Yorkie1, hope your enjoy Eurovision ☺️
suzeesu2000, a busy day 👏 Very impressed that you have managed to get rid of limescale without using chemicals 🤩 I am putting in a request for a photo of the lizards once they are affixed to the wall 🙏
Excellent decluttering Florenceem 👏 Are you sure your large RoD isn’t really a TARDIS 😱
Excellent work TC77 👏 Such thorough cleaning is worthy of a medal 🏅 which is on its way 😊
Thank you to Floss, suzeesu2000 & florianatwobob for the tips about removing limescale naturally 👏
All caught up again 😉 I recorded Eurovision so am watching it now. It is 02:10 & I am listening to song 11 which was just as dreary as song 10 ☹️ Sleep tight everyone 😴
MrsSD Awards: 💐 🙏💐💐🌟⭐️❤️💐💐⭐️💐❤️ ⭐️🎖️🥇
DH Awards: 🏅🏅🏅🏅
DSis Awards:
Decluttering Target 2026: 848/2026
1p Savings Challenge Running Total: £165.11
Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. ⭐️2026 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £373.16
Jan £5.00 Feb £12.75 Mch £23.25 Apr £32.00 May £42.16 Jun £49.95 July £61.50 Aug £71.00 Sep £75.55 Oct £ Nov £ Dec £ Grand Total £20 -
@Floss thank you for the tip about using a lemon which I will try this week. I have tried white vinegar using a hairband to keep the tissue around the tap!
@Mrs SD, thank you for the medal and all the encouragement. DD1 phoned last night and offered to come round in a fortnight to help. I've accepted but on the basis we go through a few things and then do something in town as I don't see her often. Yes, DD2 will be back soon at the end of June and trying to make a big change before then :)
Going to DB's today to go through some of our parent's things which he has taken back to his which is much nearer than my dad's and also the plasterers and others are there and I can't stay the night any more. A few more things advertised on free sites to go from dad's but pleased cooker and dishwasher picked up the other week and desk chair to go. Hoping a wardrobe and some storage can get a good home.
Does anyone have a wool duvet? I'm finding my hollow fibre ones are very uneven and while I think you can manually try and move the fibre around I thought I might treat myself to a natural fibre one, and also get some good kitchen knives (good not brilliant as I went down a rabbit hole of japanese knives and the minutiae of the weight and other details which for me as a very average good is totally unwarranted).
Hope most people are still asleep and cosy this morning.
20 -
Hi TC77, I bought an all seasons wool duvet a few years ago. I find it ok but not warm enough for the depths of winter (like last week when it was 3 degrees when I got up) and a tad too warm for the summer. I have just ditched my "clumpy" 10.5 synthetic duvet. Will try to survive with the wool duvet plus wool blanket on top next winter.
15 -
The gravel is done. Took a bit of effort to get motivated but it wasn’t too bad in the end. We now need some rain to wash the sand off. I put it round some of the nicer weeds/wildflowers in the drive. We get lots of violets and white violets in the drive.
21 -
@Green_hopeful you are an inspiration to me. We were moving 300l of bark chippings yesterday and I’m feeling it today!
✒️ Declutter 2026 🏅 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅)
👗 Fashion on the Ration 2026 58/66✒️ Declutter 2025 🏅👗 Fashion on the Ration 2025✒️Declutter 2024 🏅🏅🏅(DSis 🏅🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2024✒️Declutter 2023 ⭐️ ⭐️🏅(and one for DSis 🏅)
👗Fashion on the Ration 2023✒️Declutter 2022 🏅 🏅 ⭐️ ⭐️👗Fashion on the Ration 2022✒️Declutter 2021 ⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅👗Fashion On The Ration 2021 (late joining due to ‘war work’)18 -
i am really careful not to damage myself because it takes ages for soft tissue injuries to get better. I can feel a couple of muscles in the front of my rib cage. Not even sure what muscles they are. Good job i go to pilates to protect my back.
18 -
That all looks fab @Green_hopeful
2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇⭐
2025 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐14
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


