free fresh yeast (merged)

Options

Comments

• phoenix__
    Options
    I just picked up some fresh yeast from Tesco - they charged me 5p for it. It's supposed to be 20g but is actually 120g.

Now I just need to find out what quantities to use.
  • pruney
    pruney Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    I got some fresh yeast from Tesco today and they didn't charge me for it; she even gave me a choice about how much I wanted but I didn't want to get loads and not use it so I just had 2oz. I bake bread every other day but I'm a bit scared of swapping my dried yeast for fresh in case it goes wrong but I'll give it a whirl.
    BTW I did put it on the checkout when I paid for my things and I told the checkout lady it was fresh yeast and she didn't charge me for it.
  • Essex_Stewart
    Options
    I tried my local Asda's two nights ago, the guy in the Bakery section gave me a big chunk for free. I just found a great free vid showing me how to use it on bbc. co. uk site, but you mix it with sugar by spoon, after 30 seconds it turns to liquid. Then add warm water and leave 5 mins. I have my dough rising at the moment. I have also been making a lot of sourdough since seeing that on the telly, and found that really good too - and not sour lol!
  • kevinheb
    kevinheb Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pixiesmum wrote: »
    Im a tesco's baker, and it is 20p for 20g now. Although it has been known for me to give the rest of the block if part used to the one and only customer who asks for it in my store!!
    It might shock some to know that an 800g block pack costs mr t £8! so 20p for a generous potion isnt really to be sniffed at ;)

Yes, it would shock me to know - as a ex craft baker myself who bought a 1kg block of yeast for £1, I would imagine Tesco are able to buy it for at lot less than that with their bulk buying power. Still, if there are paying that price, I would happily save them some money by supplying it to them for £7.99 a block
  • icklefaqua
    icklefaqua Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    hi there,
    Does anyone have a recipe on how to make a Friendship/ Friendy/ Herman/ German/ Armish/ bread or cake thing with fresh yeast.
    Made one years ago with apples and stuff in but can't remember how to make the starter or the Bread/ cake.
    So many different people call it so many different names sorry.

BTW for the last 2 wks I have been able to get some free yeast from asda. Some say they are not allowed any more whilst others just give you a bit and say hide it! lol. Give them your best smile and it normaly works.
    Make love not war
    spend less, play more
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    icklefaqua wrote: »
    hi there,
    Does anyone have a recipe on how to make a Friendship/ Friendy/ Herman/ German/ Armish/ bread or cake thing with fresh yeast.
    Made one years ago with apples and stuff in but can't remember how to make the starter or the Bread/ cake.
    So many different people call it so many different names sorry.

BTW for the last 2 wks I have been able to get some free yeast from asda. Some say they are not allowed any more whilst others just give you a bit and say hide it! lol. Give them your best smile and it normaly works.

Friendship cake starter recipe

Use a large mixing bowl

• 1 cup (250g/8oz) SR flour
    • 1 cup (300g/10 fl oz or half pint) milk
    • 1/2 cup (125g/4 oz)sugar
    • 2 tsp dried active yeast (or about an ounce of fresh yeast?)

NB. I normally use a normal mug

Mix all together then leave 2 days

Continue as below

IF MIXTURE HAS BEEN GIVEN TO YOU

Day 1 - Place in a large mixing bowl and cover with a tea towel
    Day 2 - Leave well alone
    Day 3 - FEED - 1 cup (250g/8oz) SR flour
    1 cup(300g/10 fl oz/half pint) milk
    1/2 cup (125g/4 oz) sugar
    stir and cover
    Day 4 - Stir and cover
    Day 5 - Stir and cover
    Day 6 - Divide into 3 parts, give 1 or 2 away

Fruit & Nut Friendship Cake

Ingredients
    • 3 cups (750g/24 oz) starter
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarbonate of soda?))
    • 1 cup (250g/8oz) sugar
    • 2 cups (500g/16oz) Plain flour
    • 2/3 cup (100g/2.5fl oz) vegetable oil
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup(250g/8oz) chopped apples
    • 1 cup(250g/8oz) raisins or chopped nuts
    • 1 egg plus 2 egg whites

Method/Procedure

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, set aside. In another large bowl mix starter, egg and whites, sugar, oil and vanilla. Add flour mixture, apples and raisins or nuts. Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake at Gas 4, 180¡C, 350¡F for an hour. Cool, then dust with icing sugar.

This recipe can be adapted to taste you could try any combination of fruit and nuts as long as the total equals 2 cups (500g/16oz).
  • icklefaqua
    icklefaqua Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much.
    Will try it this week and let you all know when its finished how it tastes.
    Thank you
    Make love not war
    spend less, play more
  • jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I asked in Asda's bakery this morning if they sold it (didn't want to sound like I was scrounging) and she said no but they will give 40g to anyone who asks.

So now I have 40g of fresh yeast in the fridge and no clue what to do with it! Can I use it in the BM or does it have to be made the traditional way? And how long does it keep? I probably won't have time until the weekend - will it be ok in the fridge until then or should I do something with it to keep it going (feed it or whatever it is you do to yeast)?

Sorry so many questions, having asked for it rashly on the strength of this thread I don't want to waste it, but I'll plan my 'asking day' more carefully in future!
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • cheznal
    cheznal Posts: 5,161 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco in Gateshead and Asda in South Shields both gave my hubby some fresh yeast for free, although Mr Tesco was a bit stingy.

My mam then taught me how to make proper bread and breadbuns (I was never taught at School how to make bread - Gutted). My dad, hubby, brother, nephew and brother in law all had a field day when they came back home on good friday to nice warm fresh bread :)
    Smoke-free since 7/12/2011 :0)
    2019 wins:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jennyjelly wrote: »
    I asked in Asda's bakery this morning if they sold it (didn't want to sound like I was scrounging) and she said no but they will give 40g to anyone who asks.

So now I have 40g of fresh yeast in the fridge and no clue what to do with it! Can I use it in the BM or does it have to be made the traditional way? And how long does it keep? I probably won't have time until the weekend - will it be ok in the fridge until then or should I do something with it to keep it going (feed it or whatever it is you do to yeast)?

Sorry so many questions, having asked for it rashly on the strength of this thread I don't want to waste it, but I'll plan my 'asking day' more carefully in future!

Hope this link helps! :)http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/bread_machine_loaf/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure