free fresh yeast (merged)

Options

Comments

• creakypete
    Options
    I have just switched to fresh yeast and found the bread has a much better rise,texture and taste. Morrisons in Kettering sell 126grm packs for 50p, and the best before date was 3 weeks away. I use 10grm to 500grm of flour.
  • e-m-m-a
    e-m-m-a Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    have any of you used fresh yeast in your bread makers? i think mine says not to, but i wonder if it would be alright :)
  • ab7167
    ab7167 Posts: 680 Forumite
    Options
    I've just got 100g for 30p in tesco in Abingdon. 6-7 loaves, I reckon?

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • pjaj
    pjaj Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ab7167 wrote: »
    I've just got 100g for 30p in tesco in Abingdon. 6-7 loaves, I reckon?

That's useful, the next time I'm in Tesco Abingdon I will ask them.
    Sent from my abacus.
  • celebrate
    celebrate Posts: 5,883 Forumite
    Options
    this thread just been pointed out to me by my friends on the Tesco misprices thread........AMAZING!!! I have been buying yeast for years and so have most of the members of my family lol!!

What have I been missing out on:rotfl:??? My mum is going to be well pleased

Now just need to pluck up the courage to go and ask for it, they hate me in my local T's

pls can i ask one question, is this the sort of thing you have to go at the end of the day to get a more productive response (is it leftover yeast i'm presuming?) or have you guys had a good response anytime of day depending obviously on how sweetly you smile;)
    GRATITUDE WHEN GIVEN, PATIENCE WHEN DENIED

Please press the thanks button when someone has helped!
  • never_too_old
    Options
    celebrate wrote: »
    this thread just been pointed out to me by my friends on the Tesco misprices thread........AMAZING!!! I have been buying yeast for years and so have most of the members of my family lol!!

What have I been missing out on:rotfl:??? My mum is going to be well pleased

Now just need to pluck up the courage to go and ask for it, they hate me in my local T's

pls can i ask one question, is this the sort of thing you have to go at the end of the day to get a more productive response (is it leftover yeast i'm presuming?) or have you guys had a good response anytime of day depending obviously on how sweetly you smile;)

Hi
    i have been into mr s and mr t and was charged on average 30p for 100g, just ask at the bakery ,pref when staffed.
    hth:D
    MAKE £2022 in 2022 no 29 £2022/£434.10
    Mortgage@ 1/1/2022 £17540 / £1601.39
    pay all your debts by xmas 2022 £15000/ £1865.29

https://www.facebook.com/groups/680889456637403
    you tube channel never too old
  • PenguinOfDeath
    Options
    Went to do a 'big shop' in Asda yesterday, bought a few packets of the dried yeast to make bread, pizza dough etc and the young guy behind the checkout was asking us why were we buying it when you can get it free at the bakery?!

Did a quick search to see why and it came up with this thread so though I'd give it a quick bump to let others know who were in the dark like me! :)
  • sammyroser
    sammyroser Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    i think there is some bakers dozen type unspoken/unwriten rule thing. they have to sell the bread on the day of baking so its fresh but thats got nothing to do with this yeast thing.

Morrisons do not follow this rule, at night they slice all the bread baked that day and repackage it for the next day *yuck*

Always ask to have your bread sliced! Don't buy the pre-sliced stuff
  • creakypete
    Options
    Been using Morrisons yeast for 2 years without any problems until now.The last two batches were useless.
    Just tried to activate from the latest batch in sugar/water and it failed to work.
    Anyone else noticed this?.
    The yeast was in date.
    Pete
  • Phythisisa
    Options
    There is an ancient by-law that says that fresh yeast should always be shared or given rather than sold. I am not sure whether that still applies. I am 65 and have always been able to obtain fresh yeast from any bakery. When I lived in London I used to get it from a local Polish Baker. Here in Liverpool I have had free yeast from both Tesco and Sainsbury in the past. You need so little, it seems ridiculous to buy a big block. Recently I usually go to Tesco. Of course you need a bakery where they are baking on the premises, not a retail outlet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure