free fresh yeast (merged)

Options

Comments

• ojw
    ojw Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Alfisti wrote: »
    I can certainly confirm that Tesco offer free yeast. I've been taking advantage of their offer for some years now - not just for baking but (yes I know I'm decadent........!) spreading on thick hot buttered toast - absolutely, dribblingly scrumptious!! ( BTW, the toast just HAS to be made from newly baked bread - and don't be mean with the butter). Happy scoffing!

Tesco now charge 20 pence for 20 grams. Are they trying to phase out this service?
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    haggle wrote: »
    Making bread is a good hobby and tastes great but costs lots more to make than OKish bread from a supermarket. Cost such as time, power, flour, butter, milk and fresh yeast realy add up.

They don't add up to cost of even OKish bread, much less good bread from a supermarket. There's already been a discussion on this.
  • sweato
    sweato Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to put a downer on all of this but Tesco's have started charging for yeast at a cost of 20p per 20g.
  • bigjon1968
    bigjon1968 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    I got mine free at Tesco this week. Breadmaker is on as I type!
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    think it depends on your Tesco - the one i work in still gives it free if you ask nicely at bakery :D
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Johnnikins
    Johnnikins Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I think i might go into town on monday and ask to see if I can get some for free, and try my hand at break making :)
    Could do with winning something.. Haven't won anything since Aug '09!
  • pixiesmum
    pixiesmum Posts: 123 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Im a tesco's baker, and it is 20p for 20g now. Although it has been known for me to give the rest of the block if part used to the one and only customer who asks for it in my store!!
    It might shock some to know that an 800g block pack costs mr t £8! so 20p for a generous potion isnt really to be sniffed at ;)

JULY WINS: £10 iTunes Voucher, Saturdays exclusive gig Tix :j
    AUGUST WINS: 1 music download,

Member of the Nokia5800 Loosers Sofa
    :rotfl:
  • loobyloo2
    loobyloo2 Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    pompompo wrote: »
    Hi,

Just a couple of things to share:

If you use fresh or dried or whatever sort of yeast, just be sure to wash your hands thoroughly before, after, during handling it or dough made using it as it is a 'live organism' with the potential to cause infections if your hygiene is not too careful. Don't eat raw dough obviously. Of course once baked it is inactive in this regard.

:confused:When I was small, before the big supermarkets arrived, I used to go to the local grocers to buy freash yeast. I would break liitle bits off and eat it on the way home , loved it, and don't think it did me any harm:rotfl:

After many years of looking for fresh yeast, I found this thread, took myself promptly off to Asda, and reinstated the habit from my childhood.

A big thankyou:T:T:T
    to whoever found this lovely freebie, though I would be just as happy to pay for it now that I know where it can be found
  • dipsy81
    dipsy81 Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks, I will ask next time I am in any supermarket.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    loobyloo2 wrote: »
    pompompo wrote: »
    Hi,

If you use fresh or dried or whatever sort of yeast, just be sure to wash your hands thoroughly before, after, during handling it or dough made using it as it is a 'live organism' with the potential to cause infections if your hygiene is not too careful. Don't eat raw dough obviously. Of course once baked it is inactive in this regard.

What about unfiltered, unpasteurised real ale? That surely isn't inactive in terms of not containing live yeast.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure