We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Motivation and Inspiration pre-retirement

123457»

Comments

  • LateStarter
    LateStarter Posts: 399 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Indeed. I've just re-read the entire thread, and I come back to "life is what happens while you're busy making plans". If you'd told me 6 months ago that I'd be essentially retired now, I'd have scoffed. The biggest framing I've got around this is a rethink - I wasn't ready to go, but I have time back. That's a win.

  • Somewhat surprised to see that this update is coincidently nearly on the anniversary of my original post and a reference to a 2026 end date. The conversation was had this week at work about agreeing a transition and handover period.

    Just when I had thought I had everything covered out of the blue I was offered the chance to work 4 days a week with a bit of adjustment to hours and a day off. My boss was honest enough to say that he had seen this coming and had been thinking about what retention options were available adding that the day off would be a taster for post work life and chance to establish a routine.

    I came out not knowing whether I had won or lost but will make the most of having some unexpected free time and adjust the plan accordingly.

    We probably both know that this has just kicked the can down the road, but I will embrace it for now.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.