We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Motivation and Inspiration pre-retirement
Comments
-
My parents lived just outside the M25, and about 5 years before retirement (so at about age 55) they had to replace the living room carpet. The debate was about which version of the carpet to go for, which involved deciding whether they would move after retirement aged 60 (i.e. the cheaper version), or stay put (the more expensive quality).
They decided to stay put as they liked the ability to go into London for museums etc, and felt that whilst a village in the Cotswolds would have been lovely for a few years, it would be come difficult if they became less mobile and the village amenities reduced, so that they had to get a taxi everywhere.
(The carpet is still doing OK!)
2 -
I don't have a link to hand, but there is an interesting series of articles on retirement in the independent. There is a psychologist writing about the mental challenges people face in retiring, someone who retired very early, and somebody who doesn't intend retiring all giving their points of view.
The psychologist's article resonated with me, how people whose identity is tied up in their work struggle to find a new life beyond. It also gave a plea to look after your body, and enjoy the early stages, before all the ailments and pains strike.
2 -
I saw the notifications that this thread had attracted a couple of comments, so I thought I'd give an update.
I've not quite pulled the trigger, but I think I can can go at 61 (originally I was wedded to working until I was 62). We had another management reshuffle and my new manager has inserted himself into my working week with multiple meetings and updates to "improve my department's efficiency" (which no review in 25 years has mentioned needed improving). Maybe it was the push I needed to stop looking for inspiration, and accept I'm in the end game.
I'll be retired in just over a year, so I'm starting to have that feeling of "this will be my last summer of working". I'm using April 6th 2027 as the target date - if it's not my last day, it's the day I'll hand in my notice.
On the practical front, I've move my SIPP into gilts to have some security of income before state pension kicks in (posted on the pensions board), and this has helped make a mental shift into "prepare to spend the hoarded nuts". Yes, I'm filled with trepidation, but…here I go.
6 -
Just a thought, but I don't think I've said how I handled my last day.
There were lots of us finishing the same day (I'd ended up with a nice redundancy payment because although everyone knew I was planning to retire I'd not given a date), and I knew we were all going down the pub after work.
But I also knew I wouldn't want to just go home and slump in front of the TV.
So we booked a weekend in a Premier Inn about 30 miles away, theatre tix for Saturday, garden visit on Sunday, then home.
DH picked me up from the pub and off we went.
SO pleased we did that, because when people realised I was saying my goodbyes they started chanting my name, and the entire pub garden joined in, and I ran ... before I broke down.
Signature removed for peace of mind6 -
I used to be on here quite a bit before I took early retirement at the age of 55 but visit less regularly now I'm no longer thinking much about pensions. Various circumstances conspired to make retirement a sensible decision and 9 years later, despite some major changes in circumstances, I'm really pleased that I did it. It meant that I was able to home educate my young son through primary and secondary ages. Has now taken half his GCSEs with another year to go for the rest of them.
I'm still working a little for myself part time and I doubt that I will ever stop working completely. An unforeseen change in circumstance meant a move back to where I grew up a few years ago and I now have my own dedicated space where I can work and indulge my interests. A few of my old friends have now reached the age where they can also retire so we can go on expeditions in the day while others are at work.So I'm certainly happy with how things have turned out - even if things didn't go to the original plan.
4 -
It's funny finding these threads, some started years ago, this one just over a year, and spending half an hour reading through to almost present day, 30 minutes for me, 13 months for OP. I kind of feel that's how fast life goes, a year flies by, last 10 years for me has also flown by. I had planned 10 years ago to retire at 61, then a year or so later, 60 latest, then 58, then I ran the numbers again about a year ago and realised I could get it done by 57 without sacrificing. I have spent the last year ooing and aahing about timings, and finally made the decision to go at Christmas this year. Like you I have felt work becoming less interesting/more of a chore, and the final 6 months has been a bit of a drag, but I just had to get my head down, and know that I'm on the home straight. I can see that you have brought your date forward a year, I think it's normal/good practice to start to shave time off the closer you get and as finances and costs become more known. I wish you luck, and would not be surprised if you reevaluate again and find that you can leave 3-4 months sooner!
2 -
Well, how things change. I had a massive falling out with my manager shortly after my last post. By the time the dust had settled, the company decided it was best I didn't come back. I've been on gardening leave since then, and will officially part ways at the end of October.
It's not the ending I wanted, certainly not what I expected, but here I am. I guess I'm retired, but so far it just seems like one long summer holiday - almost like I'm waiting for them to call me back. Maybe when I sign the settlement letter, or get the last paycheck, it'll sink in?
And I hope they let me go back to say goodbye to my colleagues - I worry they won't, and that would be a sad anticlimax to a quarter century of working with some really good people.
2 -
I would doubt very much they'll let you go back and if it's a settlement agreement I would advise you to be very careful in what you say to anyone you used to work with.
That said you will get to know who your friends are.
Better I would suggest to arrange an informal drink somewhere. If people turn up great. If not, it's their loss.
Enjoy your retirement though. That is the thing to focus on.
2 -
Thanks Organgrinder,
It's been such a surprise that I haven't properly processed that I'm technically retired (or unemployed?). Maybe it's time to start a new thread about getting adjusted to retirement.
And yes, drinks are definitely going to happen.
1 -
Hi late starter, your experience mirrors that of my OH. He had about 10 months watching colleagues gradually disappear, usually followed by a one line company email stating "X was no longer working for the company". No compromise agreement usually means no contact, and a few of his close colleagues eventually tracked him down via Linked in .he felt a bit cheated not really having the retirement leaving do ( he's 65), but has thrown himself into volunteering at two local theatres behind the scenes, building and painting, he volunteers one day a week at our local hospital "drug running" for the pharmacy, and goes walking one day a week with the local ramblers. I have to make an appointment to see him, but he's developed some friendships and maintains a sense of purpose which is so important for mental health. There's an initial adjustment period I think, but it's true that most people wonder how they had the time to work. Embrace the freedom, new adventures await....
3
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
