Fan stuck full on, Garage to blame??

Options

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many thanks for All your responses civil or other wise! I don't make a habit of dealing with incompetent garages nor my legal right related to it, some of you obviously do. I can assure you I have taken in what has been said, I remain pessimistically optimistic.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What exactly do you thing that they have done that is incompetant?
    Happy chappy
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think that it comes down to straight incompetence, I have a contract with them and part of that is to show care and skill, they had the keys to the car, they had to start/stop/move it several times, presumably its for them to show they used skill/care, my prove is the fact the car is broken. With regard to 'was it broken before i put the car in' argument, if it was I'm certain that they would have phoned and told me, and offered to fix it, thereby showing care and skill in there duties, they didn't.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    With regard to 'was it broken before i put the car in' argument, if it was I'm certain that they would have phoned and told me, and offered to fix it, thereby showing care and skill in there duties, they didn't.

i dont think they would have,they were asked to mot the car,not service it and make you aware of faults like this,many cars will go through thier garage passing mots with faults like this,i very much doubt this was caused by thier lack of competence,why would they be near the fan,or its controls.
    and the whole thing with them not bringing it to your attention leads me to believe they were not interested in making money from this fault.
    ...work permit granted!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    anewman wrote: »
    Just wondering how you know?

City & Guilds 383 Pt 2 Repair and Servicing of Road Vehicles and a good few years spent working as a mechanic. Next.
    anewman wrote: »

The shoes had been replaced just months ago as I said. That involves a handbrake adjust. How would the handbrake cable stretch during the brake test? The brakes are hydraulically controlled. Also how would it stretch from 3 clicks all the way to the full travel of the handbrake, in both cables, just by one test of the handbrake for the MOT? Appreciate what you're trying to say, but there doesn't seem to be any mechanical sense behind it. 2 metal cables do not stretch an inch each after a test in a matter of minutes unless they snap.

Handbrakes are not hydraulic, they're cable. Hydraulic handbrakes are illegal in the UK.

Cables stretch because the handbrake has been pulled enough to make them. In the MOT test, as a tester you pull the handbrake as hard as you can - certainly far more than you do to put it on to park the vehicles - as the test is to see what the maximum braking effect of the handbrake is and not just how many clicks it goes up on the ratchet. They can stretch a considerable length before snapping - a typical car has an adjuster thread a good 2" long or more.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    I don't think that it comes down to straight incompetence, I have a contract with them and part of that is to show care and skill, they had the keys to the car, they had to start/stop/move it several times, presumably its for them to show they used skill/care, my prove is the fact the car is broken. With regard to 'was it broken before i put the car in' argument, if it was I'm certain that they would have phoned and told me, and offered to fix it, thereby showing care and skill in there duties, they didn't.

Oh for goodness sake - the heater control is not part of the MOT; I'm glad I'm not a garage owner! Wanting to persue a dent in the car, fine. But how is a garage supposed to have damaged a heater control - apart from smashing it with a screwdriver the only way I can think of is swapping it for an already faulty one I happened to have waiting for you to come in!
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly Marlot.
  • hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    so after all the advice have we got an outcome:mad:
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    hartcjhart wrote: »
    so after all the advice have we got an outcome:mad:

looks like another case of "im wrong and wont admit it" here too.
    ...work permit granted!
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why on earth would an MOT tester interfere with your heater controls?

Hardly a roadworthy or safety issue:D
    Genie
    Master Technician
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills