Fan stuck full on, Garage to blame??

Options

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that there is no legal obligation to return goods to the owner in the same state. Its ok to borrow something from a friend and return it broken!! If i sent a telly off for a repair to the tube and they returned it with the sound not working, thats ok is it??
    A 'bailment' is the correct term for this where the goods are transfered but the ownership does not.
  • Iamthesmartestmanalive
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that there is no legal obligation to return goods to the owner in the same state. Its ok to borrow something from a friend and return it broken!! If i sent a telly off for a repair to the tube and they returned it with the sound not working, thats ok is it??
    A 'bailment' is the correct term for this where the goods are transfered but the ownership does not.

Why ask if your not going to listen

If the garage were responsible through incompetence you would have a claim, but cars deterioate, if by coincidence a part has worn to breaking point whilst in their posession you have no case

If you have any proof its there fault through incompetence you may

Overall I dont think you do have a case from the facts you have given
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, just spoke to 'WHICH' who seemed to think that i had a case on the basis of their lack of 'care and skill' as per the sale of goods and services.
  • Iamthesmartestmanalive
    Options
    Well, just spoke to 'WHICH' who seemed to think that i had a case on the basis of their lack of 'care and skill' as per the sale of goods and services.

These independent bodies just say what you want to hear

lack of skill and care based on what?

Do you have any professional evidence, signs of damage, precedents etc etc

That is frankly !!!!!!!!, to have a case for that you would need proof the garage had actually done anything remotely wrong

An item developing a fault whilst in there care doesnt do that

For all you know by being in the garage actually limited the damage done

Now can I suggest you jogon as there is no point in posting if your going to ignore everyone
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    why not just ask which in the first place then?
    ...work permit granted!
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel quite sorry for garage owners if this is what they have to deal with.
    Like have a car in for some work, do the work. A few days later have irate customer back demanding that the flat tyre be fixed and that Which told them that it was their legal right and they were taking you to court for shoddy job blah blah blah.
    Happy chappy
  • pepsi1959
    Options
    This makes me so cross!! why would the garage need to touch the items you are saying are broken, and what proof have you got they were working before you took them for the MOT!!!
    Most garages only test and look for items that need to be looked at, so the car is roadworthy and thats why they have check lists
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options

Go with Which then, they are the " experts " at everything, as we all know.:rolleyes:

Which will tell you any old carp they think you may wish to hear.

Some people.. :rolleyes:
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wonder what could constitute "evidence" other than an independent report conclusively stating, for example a cable had been cut. But then again there has to be evidence that this garage caused the damage at that particular time. Seems like garages have the right to mess people's cars up and get away with it and have access to money printing machines every time a car comes into them.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How does the garage make money by a customer claiming that the garage caused a fault?
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport