We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Old Regular Savers Discussion Thread 28/12/24-29/1/26

1…348349351353354…1113

Comments

  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,319 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    schiff said:
    Progressive
    Though my RS is not due to mature and be closed until tomorrow, I have been able to open new RS, Issue 3 at 5.50% Variable. Loading money not yet allowed, that will come tomorrow I assume. As will the interest be added to the closing account with withdrawal to follow. 
    You can make the first deposit by debit card btw, which is useful for Halifax Reward chasers!
    I'm no further on and it doesn't help that they are going into lock-down Friday to Tuesday!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 11,972 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    >How close to maturity date did you get this message?

    14 days. I made my choice online the day I got the letter in the post, and got the reject message an hour or 2 later. I suspect you will get your reg saver issue 3, just seems to depend who deals with your request.


    I've had a letter this morning saying they have actioned my maturity request as at 15th July.
    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • savethepandas
    savethepandas Posts: 307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    soulsaver said:
    For those that previously 'passed under the radar', note:

    Progressive BS told me this morning that they are blocking applications for Rainy Day Savers if you already hold any that aren't due to mature imminently. 
    I spoke to them this morning, as trying to withdraw on the website on a phone is problematic.

    Modified website due tomorrow or at the worst by next week, which will allow for window resizing, so you access the whole withdrawal form on your phone.
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,319 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    schiff said:
    schiff said:
    Progressive
    Though my RS is not due to mature and be closed until tomorrow, I have been able to open new RS, Issue 3 at 5.50% Variable. Loading money not yet allowed, that will come tomorrow I assume. As will the interest be added to the closing account with withdrawal to follow. 
    You can make the first deposit by debit card btw, which is useful for Halifax Reward chasers!
    I'm no further on and it doesn't help that they are going into lock-down Friday to Tuesday!
    I'm sorted out! Got my maturity money and did my first deposit into the new one.
    Before I forget: I squeezed an extra £300 into the old account taking the balance to £3900 - for what extra bit of interest that obtains. In the course of exchanging the quantity of messages they pointed out concerning the new one that the maximum balance was £3600!
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 4,951 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Saffron BS Refer A Friend Saver at 8% appears to now be NLA. This leaves Saffron BS with no accounts listed on the first page of this thread for the first time since this version of the top regular savers thread was launched in December 2024.
  • where_are_we
    where_are_we Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My Virgin Money RS Exclusive matures July31. My balance is about £3,138. Interest is paid quarterly. Their T&C`s state that interest is only payable on balances up to £3000 maximum. Is there any advantage to withdrawing £138 immediately? Or will all of the £3138 earn interest up to maturity ?
  • poolboy
    poolboy Posts: 227 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Principality multiple issue 3 holder here, letter confirming second one came today as I did maturity instruction online.  I guess theres a human scanning applications as some pass, some get picked up.  As said, 28 quid an account but every little helps.
  • where_are_we
    where_are_we Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My Virgin Money RS Exclusive matures July31. My balance is about £3,138. Interest is paid quarterly. Their T&C`s state that interest is only payable on balances up to £3000 maximum. Is there any advantage to withdrawing £138 immediately? Or will all of the £3138 earn interest up to maturity ?
    That's not what the T&Cs I downloaded say. Mine says

    "If you save more than the maximum £250 limit each calendar month, we will accept the money, but you will not earn interest on any amount that exceeds the cumulative maximum monthly limit."

    The amount over £3k is interest, not money you've saved.  Nowhere does it say it doesn't pay interest on a balance over £3k. It only says it doesn't pay interest on amounts over £250 per month that you have saved 
    You say - "Nowhere does it say it doesn`t pay interest on a balance over £3K"
     From their T&C`s - " The maximum balance you can earn interest on at the end of the 12 month fixed term is £3,000"
    Does the £138 interest already earned benefit from compounding up to the maturity date?
    I will not be withdrawing my interest to get down to a maturity balance of £3,000 because it is unlikely whether this will give any benefit.
    They quote a maturity value of £3,162.40 based on an initial deposit on the 1st of the month, so it will be interesting to see what my final payout will be.
    More of a concern is whether Virgin Money will still be offering a competitive Regular Saver Exclusive product which we can open once this one matures.



This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.