IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Over stayed by six minutes, seems unfair but do I have grounds? Civil Enforcement PCN

Options
itgoodson
itgoodson Posts: 130 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, hope someone can give me some advice. 

In March my wife picked up our daughter from her dance class. The teacher wanted a quick word, and my wife ended up staying fifteen minutes in Smyth Street car park in Wakefield.

As I understand the complicated signage, there is a ten minute period in which you are not required to pay. 
  • I initially tried disputing the PCN with Civil Enforcement using their appeal process, making the point that it was only five minutes and the £40 fine was not proportionate. Failed.
  • I tried ignoring the letters from Civil Enforcement, but they keep coming. The last one (17/06/24) says I have to pay £170.
  • I've tried speaking to the dance school owner. But they don't own the land. She says she gets the fines and just pays them!  :#
There are two signs in the car park: one large one that is lit, but it refers to T&C on other signs, which are unlit. Since it was dark at the time (18:14 to 18:29). Is this grounds?

Is there anything in the T&C that I can go on?

I have thought about sending them a cheque for £20 in "full and final settlement" and seeing what happens. Worth a go? £20 seems fairer, a small slap on the wrist.

My resolve is weakening, life is so busy... £170 for five minutes.
:'( 

Sorry if I have missed something in the existing threads.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 135,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There are two signs in the car park: one large one that is lit, but it refers to T&C on other signs, which are unlit. Since it was dark at the time (18:14 to 18:29). Is this grounds?
    Yes.  And the £100 is really hard to find on those signs.

They would not win in court, IMHO, and there is NO RISK by following our advice. Stand firm please. We stand alongside you and will assist if a claim arrives.

DO NOT PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE A CLAIM FORM. COME BACK HERE & DEFEND.

Tell them if your address changes.

That's all you need to do.

:) 
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • itgoodson
    Options
    Yes.  And the £100 is really hard to find on those signs.

They would not win in court, IMHO, and there is NO RISK by following our advice. Stand firm please. We stand alongside you and will assist if a claim arrives.

DO NOT PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE A CLAIM FORM. COME BACK HERE & DEFEND.

Tell them if your address changes.

That's all you need to do.

:) 
    Ok. Eeeek! No risk?
    Want to fight it as it seems so unfair, certainly now, demanding £170 for 5 minutes. But I suppose I don't have lots of time on my hands.

What's the worst that could happen? 
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A loss in your local civil court, with an amount around £200 , to be paid in full within 30 days to avoid credit issues 

Assuming that it made it to a hearing and assuming that you lost 
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 11 July at 9:01PM
    Options
    But the NEWBIES thread already covers all this and more. Second post covers the worst case scenario: diddly squat of a difference.

Of course there's no risk. We do not risk people's credit rating. And we win, anyway. 
  • itgoodson
    Options
    Ok, thanks, so worst case is £200 down and nothing against my name. I assume that's correct!
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    itgoodson said:
    Ok, thanks, so worst case is £200 down and nothing against my name. I assume that's correct!
    That's correct. Now start thinking positive.   :)
  • itgoodson
    Options
    KeithP said:
    itgoodson said:
    That's correct. Now start thinking positive.   :)
    Ok let's do this 
     :D 
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Yay!  We will assist. We always do.
  • itgoodson
    Options
    Latest communication today: a letter from "Direct Collection Baliffs Ltd" demanding £170.

I assume I just ignore this and continue to wait.
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So completely uninteresting to everyone 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business