We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Questions about using UK phones abroad on holiday.

Options
ProDave
ProDave Posts: 3,785 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
Early next year we are going on a cruise departing from Florida and visiting some of the Caribean islands.

I assume as a starting point our UK phones (1P Mobile and O2) either won't work, or will cost a fortune in roaming charges?

The ship claims to have wifi.  If we put the phones into airplane mode (to disable normal calls) and connect to the wifi can we still communicate with the rest of the world and each other via wattsapp?

What do most people do on foreign holidays?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,790 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Norway rather than Carribean but I used the ship wifi to email and do other online things.  I don't whatsapp with anyone outside of work but I assume that would work.  I didn't put my phone in airplane mode as I assumed that anyone calling me wouldn't get through but I don't think anyone tried.  I did get some texts but they were texting me and I simply didn't respond.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you need to contact people every day regardless of whether you are at sea or not?

If not then you will almost certainly find free WiFi at every port. Just ask a crew member where it is. 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,205 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 May at 5:56PM
    Options
    You don’t need to put it into flight Mode.
    Just turn roaming off in the settings and use Wi-Fi only which WhatsApp Facebook messenger Instagram all the others will work with. Free Wi-Fi, obviously, when you’re in import and not the ridiculous rates charged by cruise ships. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elsien said:
    Free Wi-Fi, obviously, when you’re in import and not the ridiculous rates charged by cruise ships. 
    The prospectus says "free basic wifi" on the ship.  What do they mean by "basic"

I had it in mind if we are in different places on the boat we could use wattsapp ant the free wifi to talk to or message each other.

there is always my pair of marine HH walkie talkies for which I have a licence.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 May at 8:58PM
    Options
    Free WiFi on a cruise is generally so limited that you’ll be able to message and that’s about it. 

Make sure to turn your voicemail off before leaving otherwise you could have a hefty bill if someone rings you will your connected to the marine network. Also turn of data roaming while on board. (It’s best to turn on airplane mode then turn WiFi back on it’s own)

WiFi costs vary quite dramatically from free to around $100 per day. 
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think basic wifi means slow wifi!
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    PHK said:

Make sure to turn your voicemail off before leaving otherwise you could have a hefty bill if someone rings you will your connected to the marine network. 
    Thanks for that, reminded me I haven't re-activated my voicemail after recent travels.
  • Neil49
    Options
    ProDave said:
    elsien said:
    Free Wi-Fi, obviously, when you’re in import and not the ridiculous rates charged by cruise ships. 
    The prospectus says "free basic wifi" on the ship.  What do they mean by "basic"

I had it in mind if we are in different places on the boat we could use wattsapp ant the free wifi to talk to or message each other.

there is always my pair of marine HH walkie talkies for which I have a licence.
    I was on a Princess ship a couple of years ago and they had two levels of WiFi available. The free option allowed you to use your phone to access their app which gave you details of day to day activities, book seating in a dining room and tickets for shows. It didn't give you access outside of the ship. 
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the last few weeks/months, there was a thread by somebody on a cruise who lost their banking facilities because they couldn't receive texts on the ship. This impacted what they could buy on board with their card.
    So you need to check with your credit card and debit card provider how they verify transactions on board the ship.
    As there will be no mobile phone towers, you need to ensure your phone can verify any transactions for your card provider, be that by text or an in app confirmation.
  • Neil49
    Options
    lr1277 said:
    In the last few weeks/months, there was a thread by somebody on a cruise who lost their banking facilities because they couldn't receive texts on the ship. This impacted what they could buy on board with their card.
    So you need to check with your credit card and debit card provider how they verify transactions on board the ship.
    As there will be no mobile phone towers, you need to ensure your phone can verify any transactions for your card provider, be that by text or an in app confirmation.
    I don't recall seeing that thread but typically, cruise lines register your credit card upon arrival (if not before) and place a credit hold on the account straight away. Any issues can always be resolved at the next port of call but in all my many years of cruising it had never been a problem.

If, however, it was a prepaid currency card or a debit card then I can imagine it being rejected straight away. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure