We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Apple TV/Movie Purchases, how to confirm which Quality before buying? (formerly iTunes TV/Movies)

Options
Can anyone confirm how to definitively check the quality of a digital purchase of a TV show/series or movie on the Apple TV store?

Previously in the old iTunes store (visible on an Apple device, or the store webpage etc), Apple displayed the quality of a show/series/movie. Now however, Apple has replaced the iTunes Store with the Apple TV store whenever you search for anything. The trouble is it seems to display varying information on the quality of a product because it seems to display what is available on various streaming services. And sometimes that doesn't seem to correspond to what you would or would not get if you purchased the product from Apple. 

As an example, the Star Trek movies do apparently come in 4K if buying them as a boxset with Apple, but only show up as "HD" if searching on the Apple store webpage corresponding to what you get with Paramount Plus in the UK at time of writing. In this particular example, you can at least search via the Apple TV app, click on the boxset, and then tap each movie where it now shows 4K for each one. 

For a TV series though, it seems difficult to understand what quality you get via Apple direct. I heard that Frasier (the 1990s series) was being/has been remastered in 4K. Apparently it became available in the US in 4K on Paramount Plus and on 4K Bluray. I am trying to find out what quality the show is on Apple's store. When I checked a month or two ago, it looked like it was still in Standard Definition except for the last 2 seasons in HD (it is also available as such via the Channel 4 app albeit with adverts). However, a glance at CheapCharts which seems to be a useful tool for tracking prices to look for decent deals now shows the Frasier Boxset (the 1990s series) as "HD". 

Checking the Apple page today via the Webpage for Frasier, it seems to display the "4K" logo. Which had me excited until I tried looking it up on the Apple TV app, and I cannot see any 4K logo, nor even HD either?! It is my understanding that Apple does upgrade any HD movie purchase to 4K if the studio upgrades the digital version as such. However, this does not apply to TV shows. Hence I wanted to make sure if I was going to buy something being remastered. 

I get the benefits of physical media over digital, but nevertheless there are some things I wouldn't mind having a digital version of for convenience if the price is right.

I'd appreciate if anyone knows how to definitely know what the definition of anything is before purchase in the new Apple TV store!

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Shows as 4K when looking in the TV app on an iPhone:

I currently have a trial membership of Paramount+ so if I click it then it just kicks me across to Paramount+ app and so not purchasing it itself. 

The one challenge with the Apple app is that it aggregates results from others, like Paramount+. and if the same thing is available from multiple sources it can get a bit unclear which source has which quality etc. 
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Apple TV redirects you to iTunes does it not for purchases? I have to admit to not fully understanding what Apple have done to their website now.

iTunes gives different resolutions depending on the season, season 1 is SD, season 11 is HD.

When I looked up Frasier on the Apple TV Store is says it's available via Channel 4, Prime Video & Paramount+ and on Channel 4 seasons 1 through 9 (no 10 or 11) all seem to be in HD so it'll vary depending on platform I'm afraid.
  • HaroldWhistler
    HaroldWhistler Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options

I currently have a trial membership of Paramount+ so if I click it then it just kicks me across to Paramount+ app and so not purchasing it itself. 

The one challenge with the Apple app is that it aggregates results from others, like Paramount+. and if the same thing is available from multiple sources it can get a bit unclear which source has which quality etc. 

@DullGreyGuy Yes exactly, that's the confusing aspect about the Apple TV app which they've now moved everything over to from the old iTunes app! The image you've shared is what I saw on a regular webpage browser on a computer. Though on the app on an iPhone, a search for Frasier doesn't show me any 4K logo. So does the "4K" logo represent what is available if you buy the product (Frasier 1993) from Apple, or what is on Paramount + here in the UK?

When you open Paramount +, does it actually stream the whole 90s Frasier series in 4K then?

Apple TV redirects you to iTunes does it not for purchases? I have to admit to not fully understanding what Apple have done to their website now.

iTunes gives different resolutions depending on the season, season 1 is SD, season 11 is HD.

When I looked up Frasier on the Apple TV Store is says it's available via Channel 4, Prime Video & Paramount+ and on Channel 4 seasons 1 through 9 (no 10 or 11) all seem to be in HD so it'll vary depending on platform I'm afraid.

@JSmithy45AD It used to, now they have amalgamated everything regarding TV shows, or Movie titles into the Apple TV app. Which is also used for their own separate Apple TV Streaming service via a tab at the bottom.

Yes, on a regular webpage search on a Computer, not logged into anything, I saw a similar image to another Commenter above (who got the 4K symbol on an iPhone search). On a search on an Apple device however, I didn't see any 4K symbol. I can see the "CheapCharts" website shows the Frasier Boxset with the "HD" logo. 

Like you said, I can see that if I try going through individual seasons, it shows different seasons at either SD or HD. I think the last 2 seasons are HD via the Channel 4 app. I am not sure if Paramount+ is streaming in 4K in the UK. Apparently Frasier has been upgraded/remastered to 4K in Paramount+ in the US. 

It's a little confusing on the Apple TV app now for purchases, as it seems to mix symbols for Resolution quality with what is on different streaming services, not necessarily if 4K is available via a direct Apple purchase. I'd definitely consider the digital Boxset if it were 4K. But Apple only upgrade HD purchases of Movies to 4K and not a TV series. 

• JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

@DullGreyGuy Yes exactly, that's the confusing aspect about the Apple TV app which they've now moved everything over to from the old iTunes app! The image you've shared is what I saw on a regular webpage browser on a computer. Though on the app on an iPhone, a search for Frasier doesn't show me any 4K logo. So does the "4K" logo represent what is available if you buy the product (Frasier 1993) from Apple, or what is on Paramount + here in the UK?

When you open Paramount +, does it actually stream the whole 90s Frasier series in 4K then?

@JSmithy45AD It used to, now they have amalgamated everything regarding TV shows, or Movie titles into the Apple TV app. Which is also used for their own separate Apple TV Streaming service via a tab at the bottom.

Yes, on a regular webpage search on a Computer, not logged into anything, I saw a similar image to another Commenter above (who got the 4K symbol on an iPhone search). On a search on an Apple device however, I didn't see any 4K symbol. I can see the "CheapCharts" website shows the Frasier Boxset with the "HD" logo. 

Like you said, I can see that if I try going through individual seasons, it shows different seasons at either SD or HD. I think the last 2 seasons are HD via the Channel 4 app. I am not sure if Paramount+ is streaming in 4K in the UK. Apparently Frasier has been upgraded/remastered to 4K in Paramount+ in the US. 

It's a little confusing on the Apple TV app now for purchases, as it seems to mix symbols for Resolution quality with what is on different streaming services, not necessarily if 4K is available via a direct Apple purchase. I'd definitely consider the digital Boxset if it were 4K. But Apple only upgrade HD purchases of Movies to 4K and not a TV series. 

I would take the stance that they'll all be in SD and be pleasantly surprised if some are in HD or 4K myself. Definitely don't presume they all will be 4K and you won't be disappointed.
  • HaroldWhistler
    Options

I would take the stance that they'll all be in SD and be pleasantly surprised if some are in HD or 4K myself. Definitely don't presume they all will be 4K and you won't be disappointed.
    True! I just wish the Apple app had a better layout that showed the quality/resolution for something on Apple's digital library and each streaming service respectively. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    Options
    In fairness to Apple, a lot of other apps are even worse. It's become less clear since they (and Amazon) have started including third party sources as often the same content is available from more than one source and its quality will depend on which source is selected. 
  • HaroldWhistler
    Options
    In fairness to Apple, a lot of other apps are even worse. It's become less clear since they (and Amazon) have started including third party sources as often the same content is available from more than one source and its quality will depend on which source is selected. 

Yes I concur. Apple is still better than others when it comes to the layout in general being just cleaner. It also works a lot smoother in my opinion. The others also push a lot of adverts all over the place. 

You mentioned you had a Paramount+ trial. So when you open Paramount +, does it actually stream the whole 90s Frasier series in 4K then? It's great if that's made it to the UK!
  • DullGreyGuy
    Options
    The Paramount+ apps is one of those that gives no detail at all about the resolution, sound format etc. 

According to the US help you need to have ShowTime to get 4k/DV etc but the UK doesn't offer this or any tiers of membership and there is nothing in the UK help about 4k/DV etc. 
  • HaroldWhistler
    Options
    The Paramount+ apps is one of those that gives no detail at all about the resolution, sound format etc. 

According to the US help you need to have ShowTime to get 4k/DV etc but the UK doesn't offer this or any tiers of membership and there is nothing in the UK help about 4k/DV etc. 
    Oh I see. It doesn't look like Paramount+ has 4K for titles in the UK then for now. I guess I'll just keep an eye out on Apple if the Frasier Boxset on sale does go to 4K. Many thanks.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure