We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Have any EDF customers received an email entitled "We're making some changes!"

Options
trust.no.1
trust.no.1 Posts: 68 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 23 May at 7:51AM in Energy
Hi Everyone,

I received a long email this week which appears to be from the email address hello@edfenergy.com entitled "We're making some changes!"

It mentions EDF are moving to a new system and invites me to click some links to setup a password for my new account. The links in the email all refer to a domain "ct.sendgrid.net" which is a bulk email api provider which appears (from a quick search) to be linked with some phising emails. The links in my email actually appear to have the sendgrid user account name embedded.

The long email also ends with "All information is correct at the time of send."

The email has set alarm bells ringing on my side and I have forwarded it to EDF asking them to confirm whether it is genuine.

Out of curiosity has any EDF customers on the forum received a similar email? The email was sent to the specific email email address that I use for EDF energy. It does mention my correct account number  though it never mentions my name or postcode.

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    When I had the confirmation of migration to the new billing system I had to set up a new password and the I've just checked the URL and it includes the domain you quoted.

The end comment is 

"All information is correct at the time of sending."

I believe the email you received is genuine as part of the migration and you will also get a new account number starting with A-
  • pseudodox
    pseudodox Posts: 313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I got that message last summer & had to set up new password for my account.  It is the change to the Kraken system & you will get a new account number starting with A.  EDF set up a new DD with the new account reference & after the final bill paid on the old DD I just cancelled the old reference with my bank.  There was an initial hiccup on my account as they produced a bill at changeover date with estimated reading at "change of supplier" but a call to them with my actual readings got that amended & it has all run smoothly ever since.  I submit readings 1st of the month, a bill appears next day & my MVDD goes out 14 days later.  There was an initial glitch with readings which got quickly sorted & without asking I received a generous credit on my account as an apology.
  • trust.no.1
    Options
    Than you both. The fact that it has my account number correct suggests it is genuine. But the dodgy looking links and the grammatical error (in my case) set alarms bells ringing. The email at very least should have mentioned my name and perhaps my postcode. I'm wondering whether this communication was vetted by their communications department before it was sent.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This does have the feel of a phishing scam. As others have said it is entirely plausible but of course the better scams are. Best to check with EDF if you are in any doubt.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 23 May at 9:11AM
    Options
    Than you both. The fact that it has my account number correct suggests it is genuine. But the dodgy looking links and the grammatical error (in my case) set alarms bells ringing. The email at very least should have mentioned my name and perhaps my postcode. I'm wondering whether this communication was vetted by their communications department before it was sent.

My email contained this along with the link via the orange button.

• mmmmikey
    Options
    More info here:

https://www.edfenergy.com/help-support/how-to-prevent-phishing

A search on Google shows that there have been some widely publicised EDF phishing scams in the past.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From what I remember it just asks to register a new password and doesn't require the existing one.
  • spenderdave
    spenderdave Posts: 678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So you can use your existing password like I did..... Genuine email and for most people it goes through fine. But expect a delay while it picks up your gas and electric smart meters on the new system, you may need to supply some manual readings.
  • mmmmikey
    Options
    So you can use your existing password like I did..... Genuine email and for most people it goes through fine. But expect a delay while it picks up your gas and electric smart meters on the new system, you may need to supply some manual readings.

Apologies if I'm labouring the point here, but just because @spenderdave and others have genuine emails doesn't mean that you have. Good phishers take a genuine email and make minor changes and it can take a very close look at the two side by side to spot the difference. Chances are that you do have a genuine email but it's still always a good idea to check even if you only have the slightest doubt. Easy enough to do - either log onto the website in the way you normally do without using a link in the email, or forward the email to the address provided in the EDF link above and wait for them to reply.
  • trust.no.1
    Options
    mmmmikey said:

Apologies if I'm labouring the point here, but just because @spenderdave and others have genuine emails doesn't mean that you have. Good phishers take a genuine email and make minor changes and it can take a very close look at the two side by side to spot the difference. Chances are that you do have a genuine email but it's still always a good idea to check even if you only have the slightest doubt. Easy enough to do - either log onto the website in the way you normally do without using a link in the email, or forward the email to the address provided in the EDF link above and wait for them to reply.

I have indeed forwarded the email to the EDF email address for reporting phishing, asking whether it is genuine - but I haven't yet received a response. My email client is deliberately set to render emails as plain text. I usually inspect links in emails before displaying them in HTML. Assuming the email is genuine then it appears they may have corrected the grammatical error in the HTML version but not in the alternate plain text version that I viewed.

My phishing "spider sense" was tingling when I read the email. I typical distrust anything with exclamation marks in the title and the dodgy looking links and grammatical error did not do much to dispel this :) . However it appears that "ct.sendgrid.net" is used for legitimate for bulk email campaigns though a few links suggest it has been linked with some phishing mails.

I'll give EDF a ring if I don't get an email response.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure