We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car Finance Claim Capital Bank PLC

Options
I purchased a vehicle late 2007 from Motor House 2000 Ltd. The finance company who I took the finance with was CAPITAL BANK PLC who no longer exists also motor house 2000 do not exist. I am desperately trying to find who acquired CAPITAL BANK PLC so I can make a claim. 
I believe it was taken over by HBOS who became the Royal Bank of Scotland and Halifax combined who maybe now all part of the Lloyds banking group ??? Any help or direction would be really appreciated 

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A firm isn't always bought out, the buyer may not take on the liability
    There is no claim
    The FCA review will complete and will then decide what actions to take e.g. forcing firms to contact people 
  • IWasBoredBeforeIEvenBegan
    Options
    Capital bank information should be held with HBOS (Halifax Bank of Scotland). You could contact them, ensure you indicate it was a Capital Bank loan and cross your fingers! It’s been a long time but, given its HBOS, you do actually have a chance they haven’t destroyed your records. Mainly because of the 20m+ customers the LBG group has making it virtually impossible especially for times when many records were still physical like 2007.

If the finance was sold by a dealer (as it sounds) then there could be commission but it is very unlikely to be a DCA in 2007.

It is also unlikely (but we can’t say for certain) that you will be able to claim that far back. There were a set of important consumer credit protections that came into place in April 2007 / 2008 around unfair relationship (one of the angles) and your finance just about falls into that category.  

There are further considerations in 2010 and 2014 and they are also considering if a CONC rule was broken and that is 2014. None of these will apply to your sale unless they do the unexpected and order that the new rules (2021 and or those after your sale) are applied retrospectively. 

Then there is the time limits, 6 years since finance ended or 3 years since you ought to know you could complain. 6 years has passed, 3 years is grey. It may transpire it is 3 years from the date you find out commission was paid / how much. This has yet to be decided by FCA and FOS but I know in the courts it is falling that way.

If after all that you get your info, the review outcome happens and you get a refund for a car finance that old…. Well knock me over with a fearher we would have another PPI on our hands.

Far too long an answer for your question 🤣 can you tell I’m stuck in the house with a sniffle and bored?  Best of luck.
    I’ve seen some things man, and some stuff. I wouldn’t recommend any of it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure