We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Need to translate my death certificate from Greek to English

Options
Hello all, I have a death certificate but it is in Greek. can anyone recommend a translation service, so i can have the certificate in English?
Trinidad - The hottest place to go

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,772 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Who needs the death certificate?  Ask them what they will accept.  Some may accept a rough translation by someone from the local Greek community.  Others will insist that it is issued by a solicitor's office.  

Several decades back I worked at an actuarial firm and would happily translate death certificates as frankly it wasn't a difficult task to my mind.  A date is a date, there's a standard format etc.  So even if I didn't speak/read/write Spanish or whatever it was easy to figure out.  Greek is a bit more difficult given the different alphabet so something more official might be required.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 3,000 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Spooky you would be asking to translate your own death certificate :0

Maybe take a photo of it on your phone and then use google to translate it. Unless it needs to be a certified translation.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,354 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brie said:
    Who needs the death certificate?  Ask them what they will accept.  Some may accept a rough translation by someone from the local Greek community.  Others will insist that it is issued by a solicitor's office.  

Several decades back I worked at an actuarial firm and would happily translate death certificates as frankly it wasn't a difficult task to my mind.  A date is a date, there's a standard format etc.  So even if I didn't speak/read/write Spanish or whatever it was easy to figure out.  Greek is a bit more difficult given the different alphabet so something more official might be required.  
    It is for the probate application. Also, the solicitor who is holding the original will also wants it
  • trinidadone
    Options
    400ixl said:
    Spooky you would be asking to translate your own death certificate :0

Maybe take a photo of it on your phone and then use google to translate it. Unless it needs to be a certified translation.
    Great idea, thank you
  • Mands
    Mands Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all, I have a death certificate but it is in Greek. can anyone recommend a translation service, so i can have the certificate in English?
    Isn't this for a death in Cyprus?

Official Cypriot death certs, printed on blue paper, are already in three languages. 

There is an interim document, handwritten and issued on the day of death, which is signed by the certifying Dr. That is, most likely, not the document people are asking for. 

The funeral director should know where the blue cert is. Once you have it, or its reference number, you can order as many copies as you need. 

For reference: I'm in Cyprus and sitting and looking at copies of both for my husband. 
  • trinidadone
    Options
    can you tell me where to get additional copies please?
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Mands
    Options
    can you tell me where to get additional copies please?
    I believe any funeral director can help with that. 

In Paphos district Angel Guardians are English run and well respected but should be able to help island-wide.

http://angelguardiansfuneralhome.com/

Extra copies of the death cert should be 5 euros a copy. 
  • Mands
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Interestingly, that is not completely accurate. For example: the interim death certification *does* include cause of death. I can't speak to the accuracy of the rest of the information. 
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,070 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 May at 10:12AM
    Options
    Mands said:
    Marcon said:
    Interestingly, that is not completely accurate. For example: the interim death certification *does* include cause of death. I can't speak to the accuracy of the rest of the information. 
    I can't comment on Cyprus specifically, but as a general observation how can an interim  certificate which you say is issued on the day of death necessarily be able to specify the cause ? In some cases it may be obvious, but in others surely further enquiries /.a post mortem woudl be required. That's certainly the position in the UK. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure