PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Close to exchange, need Home Insurance

Options
I need to obtain insurance as we're close to exchange.  Just wondering the best way to go about it. 

My situation- FTB moving from 1 bedroom in an HMO into a 2 bedroom terrace house by myself.  I only have a bedroom full of stuff and a full complement of kitchen gear.

I've had a £527 quote just for home insurance from First2 Protect, an insurance broker including £47 for family legal expenses and home emergency cover . The quote seems quite high. Not sure if it is? 

I put some numbers into Moneysupermarket.com  and quotes for home insurance start from £200.

I'm interested to hear of any companies that people have found competitive and how to choose. What optional extras have people found useful?   

As I don't have that many belongings currently is contents insurance needed?

thank you in advance

Comments

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 May at 8:23AM
    Options
    I used CompareTheMarket, not MoneySupermarket. I just went for a company I recognised. (Admiral) I made sure that I had legal cover, as I was thinking that having just bought a house that was a nice backup. I'm paying about £280 for the year, and that includes both home and contents cover. Hence, your £527 sounds quite high. I'm in a detached, so initially I expected a 2 bed terraced to be cheaper. But, if you're in London or other 'expensive' place, a 2 bed terraced might be worth a lot more than my home. I have a lot more contents than you. 

If you're interested, I can look up my exact premium and the exact options I chose. 

EDIT: Quick summary from an email. 

Admiral Platinum Buildings and Contents Cover, , Home Emergency Cover, Family Legal ProtectionFamily Legal Protection and Home Emergency Cover
    £280.15
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I may be telling you something you already know, but make sure that you estimate the rebuild cost rather than the price you paid for the property - it's often lower
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 910 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TeeAy said:

Are you going to continue having so few belongings after moving?

Surely you will very soon have a 2-bedroom's house worth of furniture that you would like to have covered?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    TeeAy said:

How easily could you afford to replace everything if e.g. the house burnt down?
  • RHemmings
    edited 15 May at 8:50AM
    Options
    I insured based on the purchase price of my home. Not the rebuild cost. How does one find out the rebuild cost? 

EDIT: Maybe here: https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/choosing-the-right-insurance/home-insurance/buildings-insurance/calculating-your-rebuild-cost/

EDIT: The estimated rebuild cost of my home is more than I paid for it. A good chunk more. However, I used a generous external floor space calcuation rather than the actual size. I plan to recalculate. 

I'm signed up for a year now, but I'm not concerned. However, this is something I could look at a bit before 8 months time. 
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    edited 15 May at 8:46AM
    Options
    RHemmings said:
    I insured based on the purchase price of my home. Not the rebuild cost. How does one find out the rebuild cost? 

I'm signed up for a year now, but I'm not concerned. However, this is something I could look at a bit before 8 months time. 
    There's a link to a basic calculator in that article - I used that and added a small percentage, just in case.
    (Edit: rebuild costs have risen in the last couple of years, so there may be less difference now than there used to be.)
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 910 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RHemmings said:

https://abi.bcis.co.uk/

Or the survey you got done when you purchased, adjusted by inflation for the construction sector.
  • RHemmings
    edited 15 May at 8:57AM
    Options
    RHemmings said:

https://abi.bcis.co.uk/

Or the survey you got done when you purchased, adjusted by inflation for the construction sector.
    Thanks. I found that calculator and used it. (See post EDIT). Finding a number higher than I paid for the property (4 months ago). I assumed that I would be over-insured not under-insured. 

I'll have another look at my survey. While I did read the whole thing, it seems that this detail may have not transferred to long term memory before I bought insurance. I'll read it again. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,210 Forumite
    Options
    TeeAy said:
    I need to obtain insurance as we're close to exchange.  Just wondering the best way to go about it. 

My situation- FTB moving from 1 bedroom in an HMO into a 2 bedroom terrace house by myself.  I only have a bedroom full of stuff and a full complement of kitchen gear.

I've had a £527 quote just for home insurance from First2 Protect, an insurance broker including £47 for family legal expenses and home emergency cover . The quote seems quite high. Not sure if it is? 

I put some numbers into Moneysupermarket.com  and quotes for home insurance start from £200.

I'm interested to hear of any companies that people have found competitive and how to choose. What optional extras have people found useful?   

thank you in advance
    Go onto confused.com or similar aggregators. £527 is a high quote compared to the UK average for Home insurance but you've no insurance history and we've no idea about the location of the property etc so whilst in general its high it may be very low if we had full disclosure. 

Its only Buildings insurance that is compulsory (assuming you have a mortgage) and so if you were happy without contents cover before you may decide you are happy to still not have contents cover until you build up your stuff to expand into your new home.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

It is high.

Simple buildings insurance can be only £150 pa and that is after recent increases.

You can add contents but just put a low value on them with an excess. Maybe another £75?

Then there are normally lots of optional extras that push the price up:

Bike cover, garden cover, accidental damage cover, personal possessions away from home cover, legal protection cover. Home emergency cover etc.

Even with all these, it still should not normally be as high as you are being quoted.

My most competitive quotes in recent years have either come from LV= or Axa.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure