🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cancelling furniture order

Options
Denny54
Denny54 Posts: 111 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi everyone, I don’t know if you can help me, but I’ve got a question basically we bought a couple of furnitures from a store which they build in Turkey and then sent to the UK, after about two or three days we asked to cancel the order because we couldn’t wait about three months for them to send it and found one elsewhere and they delivered it straight away. They told us because the order has been processed. They cannot cancel it or refund us. I just wanted to check. Do I have any legal basis or will I win if I make a small claims court claim

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,350 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may be protected by the Distance Selling Regulations, but not if the furniture was specially adapted for you. 
  • Denny54
    Options
    You may be protected by the Distance Selling Regulations, but not if the furniture was specially adapted for you. 

Its not specially adapted for me, They showed us the models they have and we picked what we liked.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Denny54 said:

Its not specially adapted for me, They showed us the models they have and we picked what we liked.
    As you bought it in a store distance selling doesn't apply. You have no rights to cancel shop bought items unless they are faulty upon arrival.

It will depend entirely upon the shops own good will gesture or cancellation policy.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Denny54 said:

Did you order instore?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like an in store order.  You tried a display model and then ordered, yes?

If so, then although you have a right to cancel, you're not entitled to a full refund unless their policy says so, or unless...

...you specified it had to be delivered by a certain date, and only after you placed the order did they tell you it would take much longer.  Is that the case?
  • Denny54
    Options
    We went into the store yes but the model we ordered was not in the showroom and we did not see it at all we only saw a picture of it on their website which they showed us in store.
    They told us from the start all orders placed if they are not in store will take roughly 3 months.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Denny54 said:
    We went into the store yes but the model we ordered was not in the showroom and we did not see it at all we only saw a picture of it on their website which they showed us in store.
    They told us from the start all orders placed if they are not in store will take roughly 3 months.

If they told you from the start that it would take 3 months - what made you say 'Yes we want them' and order them - and then go and order some from someone else?

Realistically in your time frame they probably haven't even started making your order yet - but all the same, you went into the store - spoke to the staff - they told you 3 months, and you ordered. Unless they have a specific cancellation policy, then you'll have more furniture turning up in 3 months.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Denny54 said:
    I'm not sure whether or not this counts as a distance sale.  It's not like Argos, where although the goods aren't freely available to see/try, you have the ability to ask to see/try something in store.  You may have a get-out here, but I'll defer to others for their view.

Like others though, I find it odd that you ordered knowing it would take three months, then went and bought somewhere else to get them sooner.  Why didn't you speak to the first store before buying elsewhere?  You may be lucky and have a way out of this, but you may not. 

Can you cancel the second order if you ordered it online and it's arrived within the last two weeks? That's another option.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Denny54 said:
    Hi everyone, I don’t know if you can help me, but I’ve got a question basically we bought a couple of furnitures from a store which they build in Turkey and then sent to the UK, after about two or three days we asked to cancel the order because we couldn’t wait about three months for them to send it and found one elsewhere and they delivered it straight away. They told us because the order has been processed. They cannot cancel it or refund us. I just wanted to check. Do I have any legal basis or will I win if I make a small claims court claim

From what you have written - neither.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure