🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Allowance rules

Options
I have £20000 in a fixed rate ISA that ends in July 2024.
If the rate drops dramatically and I want to move that to a new ISA, I presume that is my £20000 allowance for the year 2024 or does it not count as its ISA to ISA - and I therefore have another potential £20000 allowance?? 

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,575 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you use the provider's ISA transfer process then it will not affect your 2024/25 allowance.
  • slinger2
    slinger2 Posts: 234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you "transfer" the ISA to another provider you won't use any allowance.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,715 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    aodpbarny said:
    I have £20000 in a fixed rate ISA that ends in July 2024.
    If the rate drops dramatically and I want to move that to a new ISA, I presume that is my £20000 allowance for the year 2024 or does it not count as its ISA to ISA - and I therefore have another potential £20000 allowance?? 
    As above, transfers don't count towards your annual contribution allowance, but apart from anything else, you'll have more than £20K in July, once the interest has been added!
  • Beddie
    Beddie Posts: 708 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    does it not count as its ISA to ISA - and I therefore have another potential £20000 allowance? Yes!

Open a new ISA and as part of the process they will ask do you want to transfer an existing one. Fill in the details and they take care of it. You can actually do that before yours expires, because there's an option to only move the existing ISA once the tie-in period ends.

And yes, you still have all of this year's allowance to use too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure