New oil heating advice

Options
I literally have no clue about what I should and should not be installing so would anyone in the know be able to advise if there is anything missing from this list?

Is this a good boiler? Our current boiler is around 25 years old and definitely on the way out. The warranty doesn't seem very long. We need to have the boiler position moved to an outside wall and quite a bit of the microbore pipe changed so it's pretty much a new install. We have no thermostats or trvs, it's a properly old ropey system currently!

Yes, I know we should investigate a heat pump but we need to internally insulate all the walls first and most rooms have two or three outside walls due to the shape of the house so that's something for the future. We will get more quotes but I'm flying blind at the minute so any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What's the circulating pump for, sgun? 
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 725 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What's the circulating pump for, sgun? 
    I have no idea as I don't know what one is! 
  • sgun
    Options
    In our old house we had storage heaters and while I've tried to learn as much as I can about our current heating system a lot of it is still a bit of a mystery. 
  • coffeehound
    Options
    I wondered as the boiler apparently has its own internal pump, so not sure whether that's a mistake or there's something else like a circulating loop keeping hot water circulated to the taps?  Unusual but not unknown.  Might be worth clarifying with them
  • sgun
    Options
    I wondered as the boiler apparently has its own internal pump, so not sure whether that's a mistake or there's something else like a circulating loop keeping hot water circulated to the taps?  Unusual but not unknown.  Might be worth clarifying with them
    Thank you, that is the sort of useful pointers that I need. I've got two more quotes coming, this guy was recommended and I liked him so just trying to get a sense check.
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 963 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not as extensive an amount of work but we had our old oil boiler replaced in 2021.It is a similar size of boiler to yours and is heat only.

Here's a copy/paste from the final invoice : 

Supply and install a grant 26/36 kw external boiler
    Convert old system into a fully pumped system (s plan) Supply and fit a 600x2000p+ radiator and new valves Powerflush the system
    Add a filter onto the system
    Pipe up plinth heater (not supplied)
    Takeaway all rubbish All work to comply with building regs 

Total cost £5116.

The work involved relocating our old boiler from inside the kitchen to outside the house. The new boiler was positioned against the outside wall, directly on the other side of the wall to where the internal boiler used to be. The hole in the wall for the old boiler flue was ideal for them to feed the pipework through from the new boiler.

The work also included fitting a new circulation pump and new oil feed/filter. 

So pleased we moved the boiler outside as it has made the kitchen a lot quieter and no more whiffs of oil.

The Grant boiler came with a full 10 year parts and labour warranty (subject to installation and annual servicing by a Grant G1 approved engineer). The main reason we went for a Grant boiler. After three years of daily use, it has worked faultlessly.

I guess 8 additional radiators and fitting TRVs to all radiators will increase the cost over ours, so your quote is probably not that far out.

I would seek an alternative quote so you have a comparison.

Also, all the oil boilers on the Worcester Bosch website show at least a 7 year warranty, so I would question the 5 year figure in your quote.

Since replacing the 30 year old boiler and moving to an S plan system, we are saving over 30% on our oil consumption with a similar usage pattern.

Hope this helps.

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It says heat only boiler so that tends to indicate no pump built in. I'd recommend watching a few of "plumb like Tom" oil boiler swaps on YouTube. You'll need to search through them to find the oil ones. 
  • sgun
    Options
    lohr500 said:
    Not as extensive an amount of work but we had our old oil boiler replaced in 2021.It is a similar size of boiler to yours and is heat only.

Here's a copy/paste from the final invoice : 

Supply and install a grant 26/36 kw external boiler
    Convert old system into a fully pumped system (s plan) Supply and fit a 600x2000p+ radiator and new valves Powerflush the system
    Add a filter onto the system
    Pipe up plinth heater (not supplied)
    Takeaway all rubbish All work to comply with building regs 

Total cost £5116.

The work involved relocating our old boiler from inside the kitchen to outside the house. The new boiler was positioned against the outside wall, directly on the other side of the wall to where the internal boiler used to be. The hole in the wall for the old boiler flue was ideal for them to feed the pipework through from the new boiler.

The work also included fitting a new circulation pump and new oil feed/filter. 

So pleased we moved the boiler outside as it has made the kitchen a lot quieter and no more whiffs of oil.

The Grant boiler came with a full 10 year parts and labour warranty (subject to installation and annual servicing by a Grant G1 approved engineer). The main reason we went for a Grant boiler. After three years of daily use, it has worked faultlessly.

I guess 8 additional radiators and fitting TRVs to all radiators will increase the cost over ours, so your quote is probably not that far out.

I would seek an alternative quote so you have a comparison.

Also, all the oil boilers on the Worcester Bosch website show at least a 7 year warranty, so I would question the 5 year figure in your quote.

Since replacing the 30 year old boiler and moving to an S plan system, we are saving over 30% on our oil consumption with a similar usage pattern.

Hope this helps.

That is amazingly helpful thankyou. 
  • sgun
    Options
    Lorian said:
    It says heat only boiler so that tends to indicate no pump built in. I'd recommend watching a few of "plumb like Tom" oil boiler swaps on YouTube. You'll need to search through them to find the oil ones. 
    Thanks, yes YouTube is going to be my friend this weekend, good idea.
  • coffeehound
    Options
    Ignore my earlier post sgun, they do make a heat-only version so it will have a separate pump:

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/products/boilers/directory/greenstar-danesmoor-utility

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback