Response from Vauxhall Finance

Options
I've had a response (of sorts) from Vauxhall Finance. My finance agreement dates from 2005. The response reads:

After making a reasonable and proportionate search of our records (and making due enquiries with appropriate third parties), we've not yet found out if we paid a commission to the dealer and, if so, whether it was a discretionary commission. This is due to the historic nature of your agreement with us.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause you. Should you wish to raise a formal complaint, you are able to do so by sending an email to GBCAR-CSC-Complaints@vauxhallfinance.com. 

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Service Centre on 03448 712222.

Despite the "yet" in the first paragraph, this reads as if it is the final response I will get from them. There is no indication that they are continuing to look. I do have a paper copy of the agreement - would it be worth scanning and sending to them? Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 May at 4:59PM
    Options
    DoogieH said:
    I've had a response (of sorts) from Vauxhall Finance. My finance agreement dates from 2005. The response reads:

After making a reasonable and proportionate search of our records (and making due enquiries with appropriate third parties), we've not yet found out if we paid a commission to the dealer and, if so, whether it was a discretionary commission. This is due to the historic nature of your agreement with us.

We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause you. Should you wish to raise a formal complaint, you are able to do so by sending an email to GBCAR-CSC-Complaints@vauxhallfinance.com. 

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Customer Service Centre on 03448 712222.

Despite the "yet" in the first paragraph, this reads as if it is the final response I will get from them. There is no indication that they are continuing to look. I do have a paper copy of the agreement - would it be worth scanning and sending to them? Any thoughts on next steps?

Thanks.
    The issue isn't the agreement as that doesn't show commission, all that shows is that you had finance and they know you did. As MSE themselves point out, DCA is only likely to have been an issue they can look into after April 2007 so yours predates this. Given you had finance in 2005 even if we assumed it was a 5 year deal, that was still 14 years ago that it finished, so 2024 is well after the 6 year guidance for destruction of old finance documents both under DPA and GDPR i.e. around 2016. It's (legally speaking) not reasonable to expect them to hunt in the basement of some old office building on the off chance they could find an internal record for your case. They are looking still and if they find it, presumably they will contact you, if not, then they won't. Per previous point though, it's very likely you would not be able to make a complaint anyway as it pre-dates the FOS regulation and the FCA may well agree it's out of scope. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Despite the "yet" in the first paragraph, this reads as if it is the final response I will get from them. 
    Its a holding letter.   The FCA have suspended complaints on DCA until September and it has been suggested it could be pushed back into the new year as firms are having problems finding historic data.   So, there is no hurry.

Any thoughts on next steps?
    Keep your records and wait until after the FCA publishes its report and instructions to firms and consumers on what happens next (assuming they find there is an issue as that is still not clear cut - rumour has it that the FCA is focusing on used car sales and not new car sales).

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback