Bank or Building Society?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new here so please excuse my question if it has already been answered. 
Basically, I suffer with severe anxiety and my bank point blank refuses to allow me to pay any money in via a real-life cashier and tells me that I have to use their deposit machine. I have tried on a couple of occasions and to be brutally honest, ended up having a panic attack as money kept getting thrown back out, not recognising the actual amount I was trying to pay in and plus then having a massive queue of impatient customers behind me.
So, I'm really trying to find out whether there is actually a bank or building society out there that still uses a cashier service where I can physically hand my money over and get a paying in book stamped!?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
Thank you 

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a current account with the Nationwide and I know in my branch i can still pay in cash over the counter.  They don't have book to stamp anymore but will take the cash with my bank card and provide a receipt.   All my saving accounts are managed on line so I don't know if they still have some where you use a book.  

Are you able to pay into a building society savings account, do you have any of the smaller building societies in town and transfer funds to a current account at the back?
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All banks are going the same way, even if you can find one with a branch still open.
    Does your bank let you pay cash in at the post office?  Most, although not all, banks will allow you to do that.  The post office doesn't have paying in machines, so you'd hand the money to the cashier.  However, you wouldn't get a paying-in book stamped, you'd just use your debit card.  There aren't many banks that still have paying in books nowadays.
  • HobgoblinBT
    HobgoblinBT Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does your bank have an arrangement with the Post Office?  If so, you present your card and the cashier takes your money and it is credited directly to your account.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,386 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I wonder if it's actually a banking hub the OP was trying to use.  I've yet to figure out how they work if there's a different bank using it each day of the week.  Otherwise I've yet to hear of a bank that won't allow you to deposit cash via the teller.  

One alternative is to continue with your bank but get one of their (hopefully) helpful customer service people to assist you paying in at an ATM.  The alternative, as others mention, is to try the post office.  It will need to be bills, not change.

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At my local post office I have taken money out at the counter. I also paid money in at the till for retail sales. I was queueing up for the PO counter, but then the person running the retail till asked what I wanted to do. When I said I wanted to pay money in, he said he could do that. Which was then done. Oh and I had to use the credit card machine by waving the card over the machine. When I asked about entering the PIN, I was told that was bank dependent and in this case I did not have to enter the PIN.

If you are not aware of Nationwide, not all of them are open every weekday. My local one is closed on 2 weekdays but is also open on Saturday.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,461 Forumite
    Options
    Brie said:
    I've yet to hear of a bank that won't allow you to deposit cash via the teller.
    I'm sure there have been threads on here detailing experiences in branches where there's an agent triaging the queue and directing customers to ATMs if their tasks could be processes there.

There are accounts where branch servicing is actively dissuaded, such as Nationwide's FlexDirect:
    • You prefer to bank online or with telephone banking
      FlexDirect works differently to our other current accounts. Apart from in exceptional circumstances, it must be managed online or over the phone with automated telephone banking.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexdirect/

Cash withdrawals and paying in services

Here are some useful things to know before your visit.

Note: 

Certain accounts, including FlexDirect and some savings accounts, can only be managed online or over the phone.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/ways-to-bank/branch-banking/
  • GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a friend with a POA for his father, who still has mental capacity. He told me that he recently opened accounts in person at the Skipton, Yorkshire and Leeds Building Societies. He said that he has pass books for all three, so that he can show his father what he is doing. Another friend did much the same with just the Skipton. The Skipton's branch service praised by everyone that I know who uses it.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Nationwide FlexDirect current account and they will take cash or cheques (although I rarely get those) over the counter. Admittedly I don't deal with much cash these days
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • jameseonline
    jameseonline Posts: 422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I haven't been to Lloyds for several years, but it did wind me up being told to use the machines or not even be told to which wouldn't even work or work properly, couldn't even win to be honest because machines would be at one end of branch and the cashier desks would be all the way at the other so couldn't even tell if they were busy without walking all the way down.

So glad I don't need branch access most of the time.

I've never really dealt with paying in books/passbooks etc, think I had a passbook when I opened a regular saver with Monmouthshire Building Society and I was like what the fudge is this. 

Banks & building societies (& even post offices) you should be able to pay in using your card at a desk but they would probably prefer you to use a pay in machine because they need to deal with other customers for more complex things, eg open a new account, credit cards, mortgages, basically things you can't use a machine for.

Machines replacing staff, kinda like self service tills in shops, supermarket etc.

Who do you bank with btw?
  • boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I find it bizarre that any bank or BS branch would refuse to let a customer pay in money over the counter. Isn't that what they are there for? 

I get that they want to close branches but while a branch is still open they should let people do their banking. Imagine working in an organisation where you are basically told to dissuade customers from using your services, thus doing yourself out of a job. That's got to be demoralising. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback