🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What are the facts about 'wet cam belts', Vauxhall and others?

Options
ThisIsWeird
ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,109 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

Hi.

I'm considering buying a 2020 Grandland X, 1.2, 24K miles, FSH. I am aware of the horror stories regarding the 'wet cam belt' design in these engines, which is also used in various Peugeot and Citroen models, possibly others. It seems pretty clear that there is an 'issue', with early 'wet' cam belts - say 2017-2019 models? - being susceptible to deterioration and breaking up, allowing the resulting particles to block the oil pick-up pipe; no need to mention what this can do. What I don't know is whether this issue has now been resolved?

Does anyone have the definitive answer, please?! I've read so many posts on this, but seen very few that have actual conclusions.

For instance, I have read that an upgraded belt was introduced, possibly around 2019, which has resolved the problem, but I don't know if this is correct? I've also read that the recommended oil viscosity has been altered from 5W30 to 0W30 (something like that), but I also don't know if this is correct? And, even if it is, then a slight change to the oil viscosity is certainly not a 'cure'!

So, what's the 'truth'? What are the facts? Have these engines been recalled for this issue? Can I go ahead and buy a 2020 model with reasonable confidence?!

Comments

• phey708
    phey708 Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The fact that the engines have now swapped to a timing chain rather an a belt should say everything about these wet belt engines. Some people report the belts disintergrating even with the correct oil which is now 0w20 and oil changes done at least 10k.

There is a 3rd revision of the belt which i believe came out in 2020 but no recall to replace them. Only if you have a FSH and signs of the belt having cracks will it be likely replaced free of charge. There is no garantee however that after the belt is changed it wont disintergrate again.

Does the car have FSH with signs of correct oil being used? If not likely a ticking time bomb
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Mildly_Miffed Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The *facts* are that there have now been three versions of the belt in the Puretech.

All the originals (2012 to 2016) should have been replaced by now, assuming people are going with the updated six year/60k interval, not holding out for the original ten/100k.

The second version (2016 to 2023) will be in your engine. My mother's 2018 Cactus had its original belt replaced a couple of months ago, albeit only 13k miles, and the belt that came out was *perfect*. The belt change only took about two to three hours, very straightforward. Rocker cover off, cam pulleys off, arch liner out, crank pulley off. That's it. Non-turbo Puretechs are a bit more complex, if I remember right.

The third version of the belt is recent (2023 on). When you get yours changed, that should be what goes in. Obvs, full kit inc waterpump from a reputable brand - Dayco is OE.

The recall merely checked to see if the belt was deforming dimensionally, under the pretext of brake safety, since fibres can block the vac pump that feeds the servo. Bad belts aren't necessarily doing that.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Options
    phey708 said:
    The fact that the engines have now swapped to a timing chain rather an a belt should say everything about these wet belt engines. Some people report the belts disintergrating even with the correct oil which is now 0w20 and oil changes done at least 10k.

There is a 3rd revision of the belt which i believe came out in 2020 but no recall to replace them. Only if you have a FSH and signs of the belt having cracks will it be likely replaced free of charge. There is no garantee however that after the belt is changed it wont disintergrate again.

Does the car have FSH with signs of correct oil being used? If not likely a ticking time bomb

Thanks. It does, apparently, have a FSH, but I'll ask for sight of the booklet to see that it's correct in these respects.
  • ThisIsWeird
    Options
    The *facts* are that there have now been three versions of the belt in the Puretech.

All the originals (2012 to 2016) should have been replaced by now, assuming people are going with the updated six year/60k interval, not holding out for the original ten/100k.

The second version (2016 to 2023) will be in your engine. My mother's 2018 Cactus had its original belt replaced a couple of months ago, albeit only 13k miles, and the belt that came out was *perfect*. The belt change only took about two to three hours, very straightforward. Rocker cover off, cam pulleys off, arch liner out, crank pulley off. That's it. Non-turbo Puretechs are a bit more complex, if I remember right.

The third version of the belt is recent (2023 on). When you get yours changed, that should be what goes in. Obvs, full kit inc waterpump from a reputable brand - Dayco is OE.

The recall merely checked to see if the belt was deforming dimensionally, under the pretext of brake safety, since fibres can block the vac pump that feeds the servo. Bad belts aren't necessarily doing that.

Ha-ha, yes I have seen the 'recall' doc in terms of checking the braking system - they seem very careful to not acknowledge an actual oil starvation issue.
    Many thanks for your comprehensive overview - how do you know all this? :-)
    So, a 4-year old, 24k model with a proper FSH should be ok if correctly serviced? Would you suggest an early cam belt change to the newer version, even if the existing belt looks ok? Say at the next service?
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Options
    I'd take it to the six year interval - as I said, my mother's was absolutely as-new at 6yo, albeit very low mileage.
  • phey708
    phey708 Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes that should be fine nist make sure that the peugeot approved 0w20 oil is used and changed on time. When it comes close to 60k think about changing the belt and removing oil sump to check for any small rubber pieces. You can also check the belt condition via the oil filler cap and shine a tourch down.

When the belt is changed you shouls get the latest revision of the belt which is made of better materials.
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,481 Forumite
    Options
    That wet belt is concerning me also.
    After trying to steer my Mum away from any vehicle with the 1.2 Puretech.
    So was not having it and is awaiting delivery of a New Citroen C3 Max.
    To appease my concerns she will sign up to a 5 year service plan and get belt changed at 5 years old also.
    Her local Citroen wanted 3k more for the car than the dealer 8 miles away, Plus £249 more for the same service plan.
    It pays to shop around.

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got a 2018 Peugeot with the wet belt. I did get a rogue oil pressure warning a year or so ago which they thought was to do with the wet belt, but when they had a look they said the belt was in perfect condition. The warning didn't reoccur. Had the belt changed in March this year and they said the original one was absolutely fine. I have had it serviced at the Peugeot dealership since I got it in 2020, and it had been serviced there since new. 
  • ThisIsWeird
    Options
    I've got a 2018 Peugeot with the wet belt. I did get a rogue oil pressure warning a year or so ago which they thought was to do with the wet belt, but when they had a look they said the belt was in perfect condition. The warning didn't reoccur. Had the belt changed in March this year and they said the original one was absolutely fine. I have had it serviced at the Peugeot dealership since I got it in 2020, and it had been serviced there since new. 

Was that the original belt, do you know? If so, it sounds as tho' things are fine. But if an earlier belt had been changed at some point, you wouldn't know what state that one was in, and whether there could be debris partially covering the oil pick-up. Not trying to worry you :neutral:
    If I do buy a car with a wet belt, I think I'll ask them to drop the sump and check the strainer as part of the next service, or when they replace the belt - it looks like a simple extra job with good access.
  • Mildly_Miffed
    Options
    Ford and PSA get all the rep for wet belts, but did you know they've actually been common on VAG 1.6 and 2.0 diesels for damn near twenty years now?

Just not for the cam.
    For the oil pump... with no change interval.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure