🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

House insurance claim.

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,389 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you mean  patio  door  which slides to open or  a  french door which is mostly glass and opens and shuits like a normal door?
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I looked on Amazon and the prices were nothing like that...I know it has to be fitted..but not looking at that price.

You're not just buying a lock though. Your paying for the experience and knowledge in it being fitted.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I appreciate your opinions, thank you..I have never claimed on insurance...but I did not like the way the Insurance me'n spoke to me... I said,'supposing I was locked in my bathroom of bedroom'... he said 'you'd have to  call 999..thought it was a huge joke !!

I was not impressed !!

I will not be renewing my insurance with them on principle alone.

True though. You made up a scenerio and they gave you an answer.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If it is a uPVC door in a dark colour (e.g. mahogany or black) that gets a lot of direct sun then sometimes the mechanisms can expand and stick.
    You can try throwing a bucket of water over the outside of the handle to cool it down and it can free it up.
    We had a door like that once, real pain!
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,389 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If it is a uPVC door in a dark colour (e.g. mahogany or black) that gets a lot of direct sun then sometimes the mechanisms can expand and stick.
    You can try throwing a bucket of water over the outside of the handle to cool it down and it can free it up.
    But you need to get outside to do that.

(I do not have a back entrance to my garden, so everything as to come through my lounge to get to my back garden)
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sheramber said:

(I do not have a back entrance to my garden, so everything as to come through my lounge to get to my back garden)
    I saw that.  I'd want it sorting quickly.  It's not good to have only one exit door in the event of a fire, assuming there's only a front door as an alternative.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thats not your full policy wording but a summary document.... it's likely if you look at the full document it is talking about replacing locks if you lose your keys.

As others have said, normal home insurance is based on an insured perils basis, ie you have to show that the damage resulted from fire, theft, accidental damage, flood as specified in your policy book. Unless you can demonstrate that then its not covered 

It sounds like wear and tear which is a second problem because insurance explicitly excludes this.

Note... you will probably now have to declare the declined claim going forward. 
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,237 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 May at 6:35AM
    Options
    sheramber said:

There are no flies on you! :)
    My MIL had the same problem, we went into the neighbours and used his hose, over the fence, to cool the door down. Worked a treat.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • BarbaraJean_2
    BarbaraJean_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning, thank you so much to Jim & Aylesbury Duck, I am learning from you..now its nice to be able to say to the next locksmith who visits I can mention about the euro and multipoint, (it will sound like I know what I'm talking about) :)
    The initial man is coming this afternoon to unlock the door for me..(he said the lockhe has ordered has not arrived, , just doesnt make sense to me :confused: ) so that I know I do not have the worry of the guys  not being able to get in on Monday to fit my new awning.

I cannot thank you enough.

Kindest wishes.

Barbara x
  • BarbaraJean_2
    BarbaraJean_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ivan & Sharamba, thank you... :)

It is a white UPVC sliding door and I get full sun nearly all day in the summer....apologies if I did not make myself clear, I do have access to my back garden via my kitchen...but as this awning is so huge, its going arcross the whole of the side of my house, that is why I need the access via the patio door in my lounge.

I did live in a very beautiful home, with my children, but due to a very abusive husband I had to run, and here I am, in my terraced house, but its mine and I feel safe for myself and children !! !!

I will let you know the outcome.

Barbara.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family