House insurance claim.

Options
I recently tred to get out of my patio doors, but the key would not turn, I asked a neighbor to try, but they couldnt help either...so it seems that the lock has broen, as key would not turn.

The patio doors lead out to my back garden, and as I having a new awning fitted soon,  needed the doors to open, (not been opened since last summer)

I phoned my insurance company to ask if I could claim ( I had called a locksmith to give me a price) and when I looked at my home insurance(Rias) it says that my keys are covered..when I phoned them, they said I cannot claim, said its not a part of mypolicy, but I have it in black & white...hoping I can paste itto you..

Can you please advise me of my rights.

I live alone.

Many thanks (please see botoom of list) ↓

Barbara.

This document provides a summary of the key information for this product. Full information is provided in the policy documentation.
What is this type of insurance?
This policy covers your buildings and contents against loss or damage from specific events (for example - fire, storm or water leakage).
Optional covers are available, these will be shown on your policy schedule/statement of fact if you choose to include them.
What is not Insured?What is Insured?
For a full list of what is and is not insured please refer
to the full policy documentation
For a full list of what is and is not insured please refer
to the full policy documentation
✓ Buildings - The maximum amount you can claim
for is £1,000,000
✗ The first amount of any claim - the 'excess'. In the
event of a claim being made under both the
buildings and the contents sections of the policy,✓ Tracing and accessing the source of a water
leakage or oil leakage - Up to £5,000 you will be liable to pay the excess under both
these sections✓ Accidental damage to fixed glass, sanitary fixtures
and solar panels ✗ The first £1000 of any claim for subsidence, ground
heave and landslip (under Contents this excess is
reduced to £50)
✓ Accidental damage to the fabric of cables,
underground pipes and drains serving your home
and for which you are responsible ✗ The first £250 of any claim for water leakage
✓ Public liability as owner of the buildings - Up to
£2,000,000
✗ The first £50 of all other claims (this is the standard
policy excess)
✗ Any voluntary excess you have selected
✓ Contents - The maximum amount you can claim
for is £60,000 ✗ Loss or damage caused by wear, tear and gradual
cause
✓ High Risk Items - The most we will pay for any one
claim for high-risk items (such as jewellery, clocks, ✗ Loss or damage in the event of terrorism; war risks;
pollution; contamination including radioactive
contamination; sonic bangs and confiscationwatches, furs, photographic equipment, pictures)
varies depending on the number of bedrooms in ✗ Intentional loss or damage caused by you, your
family, anyone staying with you or any person who
you have given permission to be in your home
your home and the contents sum insured you have
selected. This limit will be shown on your policy
schedule/ statement of fact. ✗ Events such as malicious damage, water leakage,
oil leakage, theft, and accidental damage and
✓ Accidental damage to television sets, video
recording equipment, audio equipment and
computer equipment.
tenant's liability are excluded when your home is
unoccupied for 60 days or more in a row or
unfurnished
✓ Accidental breakage of fixed glass in furniture and
mirrors ✗ Storm or flood damage to gates, hedges, fences
or swimming pool covers
✓ Contents of outbuildings - Up to £5,000 ✗ Electrical or mechanical breakdown
✓ Property in the open air - Up to £2,000 ✗ Storm or flood - weight of snow
✓ Freezer food, which has deteriorated through
accidental causes - Up to £1,000 ✗ Business equipment - items held for business
purposes, except for particular items such as
✓ Money and credit cards - Up to £500 computers and office furniture, which are owned
by you and your family✓ Deeds and documents - Up to £2,500
✓ Personal liability as occupier of the home - Up to
£2,000,000 ✗ Deeds and documents - documents used or held
for business, trade, profession or employment
purposes
✓ Buildings & Contents: ✗ Property in the open air - loss or damage to plants
and trees, high risk items or money, business
equipment or pedal cycles
✓ Damage to the buildings or contents caused by
events such as fire, malicious damage, impact (for
example by a vehicle), storm, flood, subsidence,
ground heave, landslip, water leakage and theft ✗ Contents at University - theft/attempted theft is
restricted to forced or violent entry only
✓ Rent and alternative accommodation costs if the
home can't be lived in due to an insured event - ✗ High-risk item claims are limited to the amount
shown under the maximum claims limit
Up to £100,000 under buildings and/or up to 20%
of the maximum contents claim limit ✗ You must tell us if you have any high-risk items
worth more than £1,500
✓ Replacement locks and keys - Up to £1,000

Comments

• bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    This is likely to be for replacement of damaged locks eg after a break in.

A lock that has stopped working Is wear and tear  and would not be an insurance claim
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Added to the above - I'd definitely not be trying to claim for a lock on my insurance - the knock-on effect of a claim would be higher future premiums all-round for something that will likely cost you a hundred pounds to get done locally. I'd definitely put this down to wear and tear and get it done from my own pocket.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Dave_T_UK
    Dave_T_UK Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has this just stopped working or has it not been used for a while, if the latter, Have you tried some WD40/3in1 type lubricant from inside and outside, let it soak in for a while and see if it allows you to unlock it.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with the posters above.  It's not a valid insurance claim, you wouldn't want to claim for something so trivial anyway (by the time you've paid any excess and potentially higher premiums you will have wiped out any saving you made from not calling a locksmith), and there are things you can try before having to call a professional.

Spray/drip some light oil onto the lock, outside and inside.  Leave it for a few hours and then try again.  Grease or lightly oil the key as well.  Depending on the design, it might not be the lock itself, it might be that the handle has jammed so the lock won't turn.  

If you do have to call a locksmith, make sure you're clear that it's not an emergency call-out, otherwise you'll be paying a premium for it, whereas there's no urgency.
  • BarbaraJean_2
    BarbaraJean_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options

Thank you both so much, yes, I have put WD40 on the locks, the first thing I tried...done it several times over different days..

I called a locksmith out and he managed to open the door and showed me how the lock was jamming..needing a new lock..he has not quotoed me a price yet, but I have asked him to come to my home tomorrow...no call out fees...he only lives a few minutes away by car from my home...

I appreciate your opinions, thank you..I have never claimed on insurance...but I did not like the way the Insurance me'n spoke to me... I said,'supposing I was locked in my bathroom of bedroom'... he said 'you'd have to  call 999..thought it was a huge joke !!

I was not impressed !!

I will not be renewing my insurance with them on principle alone.

Again,

Thank you !!

Barbara x
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    You're welcome.

You'll find that almost all insurers will operate that way.  You can often purchase "home emergency cover" or similar, which will send a locksmith, plumber, electrician, etc. to you, but what you're after is not a feature of standard home insurance policies.  
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    Options
    If lock is anything like Upvc doors it will be about £40.
    Life in the slow lane
  • BarbaraJean_2
    BarbaraJean_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you so much for your information...I was told by the man that came round it would be about £200. or more...I  just said to him, leave it now. I will sort it... I thought that was a hige amount of money...

I looked on Amazon and the prices were nothing like that...I know it has to be fitted..but not looking at that price.

I will just do more research, as long as the door is open for Monday when the awning will have to come through it...then it can stay locked.
    (I do not have a back entrance to my garden, so everything as to come through my lounge to get to my back garden)

Yes it ia a UPVC door, just the one door.

Again, many many thanks for your advice.

Barbara x
  • timjim
    timjim Posts: 91 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surely if it's a patio door it will have a multipoint lock not just a not just a euro lock, therefore it might not be so simple
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    timjim said:
    Surely if it's a patio door it will have a multipoint lock not just a not just a euro lock, therefore it might not be so simple
    Depends what the problem is.  If it's just the lock barrel that's seized, it's a cheap and quick fix.  If it's the multipoint mechanism itself, as you say, it won't be as simple.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback