🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Investing gross or net of interest?

Options
Hi

I'm planning to to open a 1 year fixed term cash ISA that pays interest annually at maturity, and transfer in from previous years' ISAs.

I  want to ensure I get the full £85k protection from FSCS.  So:

1.  Can I transfer in the full £85k initially and because the account only pays interest annually my balance would be £85k all year until that maturity point so fully protected by FSCS?  OR

2.  Should I only deposit the smaller amount that will grow to reach £85k at maturity?

Many thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi

I'm planning to to open a 1 year fixed term cash ISA that pays interest annually at maturity, and transfer in from previous years' ISAs.

1.  Can I transfer in the full £85k initially and because the account only pays interest annually my balance would be £85k all year until that maturity point so fully protected by FSCS?  OR

2.  Should I only deposit the smaller amount that will grow to reach £85k at maturity?

If you deposit the full £85k, then from the day interest is credited until you arrange either a transfer or withdrawal of the excess over £85k, it will be ‘at risk’ ie not covered by FSCS. Clearly, this could be more of a problem if the fix was for 2 or more years with interest credited annually. 
    To be absolutely sure, deposit less than £85k to leave enough headroom for interest. 
    It is unlikely a major bank/building society would fail, but why take that risk? 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the provider was to fail the day before maturity, would you want to be paid the ~£4K of interest that could have been accrued (but not paid) up to that date?  If so, stick to a balance of ~£81K....
  • edinburgh_west
    edinburgh_west Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    badger09 said:
    Hi

If you deposit the full £85k, then from the day interest is credited until you arrange either a transfer or withdrawal of the excess over £85k, it will be ‘at risk’ ie not covered by FSCS. Clearly, this could be more of a problem if the fix was for 2 or more years with interest credited annually. 
    To be absolutely sure, deposit less than £85k to leave enough headroom for interest. 
    It is unlikely a major bank/building society would fail, but why take that risk? 
    Many thanks for the reply - that's what I've been thinking too, I'm quite risk-averse.
  • edinburgh_west
    edinburgh_west Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    If the provider was to fail the day before maturity, would you want to be paid the ~£4K of interest that could have been accrued (but not paid) up to that date?  If so, stick to a balance of ~£81K....
    Many thanks for the reply - yes, that was also in my mind about the risk of losing interest to date pre-maturity.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure