Which investments on Dodl pls?

Options
Hello
I am switching my LISA from a j bell to dodl due to charges (I can only afford to put in £25 a month). However I don't know which funds to get. In my a j bell LISA I have Lifestrategy 100 and also Hsbc global strategy the most risky one. In my normal isa with vanguard I have Vanguard Global All Caps. I know I dont need all those different ones but I was just playing around and finding out about them.

I want something similar on dodl but I don't know how to put them together and in what percentages??  On the fact sheets on Dodl I cant even see their special alphabet codes.

The ones they have (apart from their ready made packages which I don't want):

1) Vanguard FTSE 100 index unit trust  0.06%

2) Vanguard FTSE 250 ETF

3) iShares US Equity Index Fund 0.05%

4) FTSE Europe Fund 0.12%

5)Fidelity Index  Japan Fund 0.10%

6) Vanguard Pacific ex Japan Index Fund 0.16%

7) iShares Emerging Market Index Fund 0.20%

8) HSBC FTSE All World  Index Fund 0.12%

9) HSBC China ETF 0.28%

Please can anyone help??
Thanks a lot in advance.
I want a set and forget thing like Lifestrategy. 

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,473 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 May at 2:32PM
    Options
    Number 8 would be essentially equivalent to Vanguard Lifestrategy 100 but without the home bias (which in my view is a good thing), or HSBC GS Adventurous without the property and bonds.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The ones they have (apart from their ready made packages which I don't want):
    1) Vanguard FTSE 100 index unit trust  0.06%

2) Vanguard FTSE 250 ETF

3) iShares US Equity Index Fund 0.05%

4) FTSE Europe Fund 0.12%

5)Fidelity Index  Japan Fund 0.10%

6) Vanguard Pacific ex Japan Index Fund 0.16%

7) iShares Emerging Market Index Fund 0.20%

8) HSBC FTSE All World  Index Fund 0.12%

9) HSBC China ETF 0.28%

Unless you are building a portfolio of single sector funds, you can eliminate all of those, which leaves you just with number 8 to select.

I want a set and forget thing like Lifestrategy. 

VLS20 to VLS80 are multi-asset funds and there isn't a multi-asset fund in that list.  VLS100 is a global managed fund and 8 is the closest to that (without the management)

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    22225 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh really? That's all I need?? Do I need to worry about the size of the Caps???
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    At £25 per month it won't make any difference
    8 is the obvious choice and it's nearly half the OCF of the Lifestrategy, but that won't make much difference either
  • FIREmenow
    FIREmenow Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, That is the 'around the world' theme list.

Dodl have life strategy 80, 60 and 40 in the section called all-in-one if you really wanted some bonds.

But I agree with picking 8 - a low cost global tracker. Having just learned you can hold this one on Dodl, I'm thinking of using them next year as I hold a lot of that fund elsewhere.
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone.
    I know I probably seem like a loser only doing £25 a month but I hope in the future that I can increase that amount.
    Thank you everyone. Much appreciated

Options
    I'm so thick I realise now I didnt use the drop down list to look at the other offerings life they do actually do Lifestrategy up to LS 80. But I've started the transfer process now and I've had to transfer in cash. Like you say at the moment it doesnt matter. In the long term it will probably be ok.

Can I ask you whether its worth having any bonds. I know recently over the last year bonds didnt do so well but should I have some for the future??? I think I would rather have 100% equities and then just have some cash in a high rate interest account.

Thanks 
  • FIREmenow
    FIREmenow Posts: 229 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think you seem like a loser or thick. Like a lot of us you seem to be taking an interest in the complex world of investing with the help of some knowledgeable folk on here.

You're also putting money away for your future self, which not everyone can/will, regardless of the amount. So just keep going.  :smile:

Thinking about bonds, what are you saving for in your LISA - first home or retirement? And how many years 'til you get there? 
    Options
    Retirement. I already have a pension. Also to help out with uni fees. I'm early 40s.
    Thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure