🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Evicting 25 year old son

Options

Comments

• Zoe02
    Zoe02 Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Communicate with him. Can he afford to move out? If you evicted him where would he live?

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zoe02 said:
    Communicate with him. Can he afford to move out? If you evicted him where would he live?

Well, if he can’t afford to move out, perhaps he needs to reconsider his  very part-time working and get a full-time job.
    There’s enough jobs going in the service industries at the moment that that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    But those jobs will pay minimum wage and be zero hour contracts.  Not much chance of affording to rent anywhere.   
  • elsien
    edited 15 May at 8:13AM
    Options
    Still needs to get off his arris and do something. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    cbsexec said:
    But those jobs will pay minimum wage and be zero hour contracts.  Not much chance of affording to rent anywhere.   
    Then as Elsien said:

elsien said:
    Zoe02 said:

Well, if he can’t afford to move out, perhaps he needs to reconsider his  very part-time working and get a full-time job.
    There’s enough jobs going in the service industries at the moment that that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

• Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 432 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is one of the irritating threads where an OP gives very little detail then never returns!   Common courtesy would be to at least thank people who take time to respond.
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    cbsexec said:
    I've got a 20yr old niece, who's working a minimum wage, zero hour contract job in the care sector.

She is working average 60hr weeks (and has access to unlimited overtime). She's managed to pay for driving lessons, bought a reasonably nice car, pays to run the car, lives in a shared house and is saving money every month. Zero help from parents.
    She also lives in one of the most expensive areas in the UK (her room is £800 per month).

I don't agree with your perspective, other than illness or disability there is no excuse.
  • T.T.D
    T.T.D Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 May at 4:02PM
    Options
    Exodi said:
    T.T.D said:
    You tell him he has a date to be out by. 

Leave the number for the councils homelessness team and then give him a text with the housing register link and and number and tell him to get that done before the day he need be out.

You then withdraw all financial support and support to sustain his lifestyle.
    Jesus wept, make sure not to forget to spit on him out the window while he picks up his things off the pavement.

While it's very kind of you to refer him to the councils homelessness team, a young single man in employment with no disabilities and no dependencies will stand approximately zero chance of being housed.

It would be more pragmatic to offer help with financing the deposit, or acting as a guarantor, than just leaving the council to deal with it.

While it's of course convenient for adult children to live at home (and the parents don't help themselves by subsidising it and waiting on them hand and foot), it can be just as exciting fleeing the nest, gaining his freedom and being able to do what he wants when he wants (this should be an easy sell - it also helps with relationships). You just need to motivate them.

Someone else said throw him with his bags on the street you don’t take offence to that but you take offence to my post.

You also cut out the bit where I advise if there’s issues going they should find other forms of avenues to sort them. That part doesn’t suit your need to target my post so you omitted it. 

OP asked a question and I answered. I don’t need your input on how offended you feel and that this is how I should have approached with my advice, now or in the future. 

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,179 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cbsexec said:
    I've got a 20yr old niece, who's working a minimum wage, zero hour contract job in the care sector.

She is working average 60hr weeks (and has access to unlimited overtime). She's managed to pay for driving lessons, bought a reasonably nice car, pays to run the car, lives in a shared house and is saving money every month. Zero help from parents.
    She also lives in one of the most expensive areas in the UK (her room is £800 per month).

I don't agree with your perspective, other than illness or disability there is no excuse.
    I used to have a zero hour contract, when they were relatively knew. It worked really well for me. I used to sing their praises on here about them (I've been on here a long time) . Then the day came when they no longer worked for me, and the negatives of them were put into action, no work offered though I'd worked the week before  and eventually a letter saying I was no ,longer required. A restructure of where I worked made this happen.  Just because a zero hour contract can work doesn't mean it always will. Permanent contracts don't offer life long security either but at least you get a little more security. Also job markets differ round the country. The OP may live where there's high unemployment. 
  • elsien
    Options
    They may. Or the son may be highly more qualified, in an area of low unemployment and in a position to earn a decent wage if he chose to do so.

It's all just guesswork.

Either way, a 25 year old with no additional needs shouldn't be doing minimal work, living off family and declining to pay anything towards his keep. Taking the OPs post at face value. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure