We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car insurance - when/if to inform of medical occurrence

Options
2»

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    user1977 said:
    alicef said:
    @Car_54 , sadly not a hypothetical question.  
    Hypothetical as in we still don't know what your policy actually says about it.
    Exactly. OP seems strangely reluctant to read it/them.
  • sheslookinhot
    sheslookinhot Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Car_54 said:
    user1977 said:
    alicef said:
    @Car_54 , sadly not a hypothetical question.  
    Hypothetical as in we still don't know what your policy actually says about it.
    Exactly. OP seems strangely reluctant to read it/them.
    Maybe the OP has read the policy and the answer to her question is now clear. No one on here needs to know what her policy says.
    Mortgage free
    Vocational freedom has arrived
  • alicef
    alicef Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh dear - I do seem to have rubbed a couple of forumites up the wrong way.

I had read ALL my policy documents i.e the ones sent to me via my insurance company on the email - they were of no help.  I needed to search for the insurers booklet and ascertain if it was upto date version and the correct one for my insurance - I have now read thru' all 50 pages - this is what is stated...

on page 40 for my insurance I must notify

any problem to do with the health of any person who will drive your car where the DVLA require notification;

The occ. health/doctor will determine whether or not DVLA notification is required or not after the month is up.  

If husband is, hopefully, given all clear,  and NO DVLA notification is required, it seems that my premiums shouldn't be impacted at all if I do inform my insurnce company, in accordance with stroke association advice, that my OH had a small stroke. 

Fashion on the Ration 2024  21/66   
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    alicef said:
    @Misslayed Thank you I've had a read of the stroke.org page.  Their statement is unequivocal. 
    Unequivocal but not (necessarily) correct. They can't make a blanket statement like that unless they know the terms of every single insurance policy in the country. And it's likely not written by someone who is qualified to give insurance advice.

It's not uncommon for charities etc to make blanket statements like that though - they're hardly going to say "no, don't bother telling your insurer", just in case you do have to. And the consequences of not telling your insurer something that you do have to tell them can be quite severe - much more severe than if it's the other way round.

The correct answer though is still "you have to tell them if your policy says that you have to tell them".
  • alicef
    alicef Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    @Aretnap thank you - that is very helpful insight.
    Fashion on the Ration 2024  21/66   
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,564 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Generally an insurer will only be interested if:

1) You are required to inform the DVLA - they'll want you to confirm you have

2) If the vehicle has been modified to help you deal with any illness or disability like hand controls if you have lost control of a leg

Obviously for any general rule there are exceptions so better safe than sorry. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback